1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The light winter had made the ticks thick this year

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by moody, Apr 20, 2012.

1. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    I use the same stuff and it works great...well worth the money...found it cheapest on amazon

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    I'm not a vet but you might want to look into using the combo...was told NOT to.
  3. StuckInTheMuck

StuckInTheMuck Member

Loc:
    沖縄日本
  4. kettensäge

kettensäge Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. PA.

Ticks being DEET resistant is news to me. I am familiar with Permethrin, it is used in a lot of pest control chemicals, also dog flea and tick collars and the Hartz drops you put on the dogs spine.

Good write up here at the Duranon website: http://duranon.com/
    ScotO likes this.
  5. MishMouse

MishMouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Verndale, MN
    There are years that my in-laws pull ticks off their dog when there is over 1 foot of snow on the ground and its well below zero. Yesterday my wife pulled three ticks off my daughter and she was just oplaying in our yard. Granted how our door works or doesn't work the ticks just walk right in.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I did the vinegar/grape juice and vinegar/apple juice thing several years ago to help with my joints, heartburn, etc. and I think I am going to give it a go for the tick remedy too. I don't know if that works or not, but I am willing to try anything, especially with turkey season coming in this weekend and I will be dealing with them BIG TIME. Not to mention I kinda like the taste of apple cider vinegar (honestly).:rolleyes:o_O
  7. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Ticks are bad up this way too. My son and I have been cutting dead wood off the four wheeler trail behind the house, and we got ticks on us every time we've gone out.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I guess resistant isn't really a good word to use there, more like "not as effected by" would be a better term to use. I've seen ticks walk right over Deet-treated clothing like it wasn't even there. But the permethrin works BIG TIME. This winter, we went out the day before deer season on a scouting trip, I was wearing untreated clothing and I was COVERED from my knees down with ticks (on my clothes, not on my skin, thank God). Came home from that trip, sprayed my clothes down twice with the permethrin-spray and proceeded to hunt the exact same area the very next day (and it was warmer than the day before) and watched those poor buggers walk one inch on my clothes, wither up, and fall to the ground. I am a believer in that stuff, I hate to use deet on my skin so I am very conservative on using that, but I will end up using it behind my ears, around my face and on my neck this weekend when I go out turkey hunting. Anyway, great link, thanks for sharing!
  9. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I gave this a shot last night, but maybe got the ratios wrong. All I tasted was the ACV.
    If anyone has the mix correct, I'd like to know what it is.
    I wonder if hummus works. I like hummus.
  10. kettensäge

kettensäge Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. PA.
    I wonder if Balsamic vinager works, I have it on a garden salad almost daily.
  11. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    We got em good and early this year.