1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The Mingo

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jrcurto, Mar 13, 2013.

1. jrcurto

jrcurto Member

Loc:
    Southern Connecticut
    http://www.themingomarker.com/
    Recieved one of these and used it for the first time. The Mingo Firewood length marking tool. I am on a few storm damage jobs and have been bucking for a two weeks straight. As silly as it seemed at first, I must say it is ingenious and has saved me time and ensured perfectly uniform lengths. It was interesting rolling it down a massive Red Oak and marking it with 18" blue dots. Now the lifting and splitting begins...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Yep, got one and love it. I have wheels for 14" 16" and 18" cuts. Works great. I put a second cam on the 14" wheel just across from the factory cam so every third mark is 21" and I cut just behind the dot for a 20" round.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    When I get straighter wood, I use my Mingo as much as I can. Pretty good tool.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

Jeez... you guys sure take it to another level!

I just eyeball... 16" +- an inch or two works plenty fine for me... and my customers. I'll use the length of the bar every few hours to re-calibrate the eyeballs. ;)
  5. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    I've only one (eyeball) that works so I used my 20" bar for a ruler for a long time, but the Mingo is faster. Besides that, well...I just like toys!;em
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I like these in red. Use a measuring stick and just make a mark. If I forget to take one some day, I'll just make a mark with the axe, but the red is easier to see and the crayon is lighter than the axe.

Marking crayon.jpg
    DexterDay and Nixon like this.