The Most Creosote I've Ever Had....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were plenty of blaze kings made without cat converters that are still in use today.

I get creo buildup, much more than with the hearthstone but still well within once per year sweeping schedule. Our burn season is long too, like 9 months.

Could have been the non-cat models, the Briarwood or the Guardian. Those EPA secondary stoves will dirty up just like any other if run poorly. Any chance you know what model he has?
No I dont but I will bring it up next time I chat with him. I suspect that its his wood. I have a good view of his chimney from my living room and noticed black running down it onto the snow along with brown icicles. Blaze kings are very popular around here and do wonders with our soft woods. New purchase non cat blaze kings arent allowed in BC from what I was told but Im not sure when those regs came in. My first home I owned here 15 years ago had a non cat blaze king that really threw the heat!

I'm a newb at this . Been surfin the sight and this is a topic that's been buggin me. I'm really selective on wood and all that. I have an 11 ft. Straight up and out chimney that on an old buck 27000 and can get the stove Rollin but sometimes my chimney isn't reading that it is, meaning the chimney temps. Should I check it monthly or run everyone out the house with a good hot fire

Whether I need it or not I sweep 3 times a year (I burn from mid September to late May). Its a habit from before my hearth.com days when I thought I was burning dry... who knows maybe I was. I would be curious to go back 10 years and analyze my burning practices. I didnt have back then the good advice and knowledge Ive learned here. Either way I cant shake the habit and sleep better afterwards. Maybe I will back off in the future to twice a year but you never know. All I do know is Ive never had a chimney fire and unless im doing a start up fire or reload all you see from my chimney is heat vapor! Like the OP says, get out and sweep.

Mine also is heat vapor. I'm starting to get the hang somewhat of the draft controls on my stove so as to keep heat in and out of the stove. Just wish I could get a better burn time than I have been. Still ill feed the dragon to keep my heat bill down

Status
Not open for further replies.