The Mule.....my winter firewood hauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Here's some pics of my winter wood hauler.....I call it the 'mule'. Its a sleigh I built 11 years ago out of scrap 2x4s, a sheet of 3/4"plywood, a piece of sheetmetal and some metal scraps. Put two runners made out of angle iron on the bottom to help it track better. This ol'girl has hauled a PILE of firewood out pf the woods over the years. I pull it along with my 1974 Chaparral SSX 340. Both are worth their weight in gold as they have helped me do winter firewood hauling and I hope they continue to do so for years to come! Gonna go haul some white oak now. More pics to come.

Attachments

• Mule2-2.jpg
    Mule2-2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Mule1-2.jpg
    Mule1-2.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,045
I really like this! Last year we had snow from Dec through early March and I could have used one of these. This year we are in a snow drought so not so much of a need right now. Thanks for posting.

Look at that on snow mowbile! I dont think i have seen anything that old ever. Of course i only see snowmobiles on tv and the internet here in SC!

clemsonfor said:
Look at that on snow mowbile! I dont think i have seen anything that old ever. Of course i only see snowmobiles on tv and the internet here in SC!
yes Clem, its an oldie but a goodie! She has her moments but being 40an yrs old I can't blame her. Her name is Frankenstein ....she's got bits and pieces from all over the place! ;-)

Well after having to plow my father in law out, and replacing a bogie wheel bearing on my snowmobile, I finally made it up into the woods and cut one of the white oak hangers down. Some pics of the mule at work...didn't get started til almost 4:00pm.......wish I had more time there's lots of good white oak up in that grove......will have to wait for the next snowstorm...

Attachments

• Mule3.jpg
    Mule3.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 849
  • Mule4.jpg
    Mule4.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 840
  • Sledandmule.jpg
    Sledandmule.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 892
  • Whiteoak.jpg
    Whiteoak.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 864
Pic of the hanger out in front of the sled and the antique Stihl 041AV Super that brought it down. I love running the old Stihls. 28" bar with big bucking spikes and full chisel chain made quick work of that hard white oak.

Attachments

• Whiteoakhanger.jpg
    Whiteoakhanger.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 827
  • Stihl041super.jpg
    Stihl041super.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 840
Plenty of saw for the size of that wood but I'd rather have too much saw for the job than not enough.

Locust Post said:
Plenty of saw for the size of that wood but I'd rather have too much saw for the job than not enough.
Yeah I know Locust Post.......I have a couple of those Supers, I love that saw. I have smaller saws but that one is my favorite all around saw. Plus I built a ported muffler for it and I love the sound of it!! as for the 28" bar, I like the big bar cause you don't have to hunch over to cut.....lol....

Scotty Overkill said:
Locust Post said:
Yeah I know Locust Post.......I have a couple of those Supers, I love that saw. I have smaller saws but that one is my favorite all around saw. Plus I built a ported muffler for it and I love the sound of it!! as for the 28" bar, I like the big bar cause you don't have to hunch over to cut.....lol....

Funny how we get attached to our tools. (after I typed that thought I better say no comments needed lol)

Locust Post said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Locust Post said:

Funny how we get attached to our tools. (after I typed that thought I better say no comments needed lol)
lol.....yeah, that one could go REALLY far on this forum.....but just to ice the cake, as long as you aren't out using your tools where you aren't supposed to be, everything will be fine.... ;-P

Scotty Overkill said:
Locust Post said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Locust Post said:

lol.....yeah, that one could go REALLY far on this forum.....but just to ice the cake, as long as you aren't out using your tools where you aren't supposed to be, everything will be fine.... ;-P

Ditto.

Love the old school and home brew equipment. Those Sleds are awsome. Both - the one you built and the one you maintain. I finally had to retire my 26yr old Yamaha quad that hauled a lot of deer and wood off the property through the years. That saw is just "bad news" and I mean that in a good way. I would be afraid I may fall over picking it up!!

Looks like it works great. Looks like a fun day in the woods. Thanks for the pics.......it is a little piece of "being there" :)

BobUrban said:
Love the old school and home brew equipment. Those Sleds are awsome. Both - the one you built and the one you maintain. I finally had to retire my 26yr old Yamaha quad that hauled a lot of deer and wood off the property through the years. That saw is just "bad news" and I mean that in a good way. I would be afraid I may fall over picking it up!!
Bob lookin at that nice buck in yer profile pic I'm sure you could handle that saw just fine. I'm a die hard hunter too, shot a couple of big ones over the years here in PA but out your way the the get a lot bigger. I like old skool too.....lol...that sled has been with me since I got married in 97. It sat behind a guys garage for almost 18 years and with some tinkering it fired up. My kids love to go for rides around the neighbors farm in that sleigh, they'll have fond memories of that someday.

tfdchief said:
Looks like it works great. Looks like a fun day in the woods. Thanks for the pics.......it is a little piece of "being there" :)
thanks chief. I thoroughly enjoy your pics as well, esp considering all you went through not that long ago. I have a high respect for that. Keep it going, but don't overdue it. And those wood stacks and shed you have, I may hire you to come to my place and show me how its done. :cheese:

Scotty Overkill said:
Pic of the hanger out in front of the sled and the antique Stihl 041AV Super that brought it down. I love running the old Stihls. 28" bar with big bucking spikes and full chisel chain made quick work of that hard white oak.

Everything looks great, looks like a sled is two or three years down the road for us.

zap

zapny said:
Scotty Overkill said:

Everything looks great, looks like a sled is two or three years down the road for us.

zap
thanks Zap. I know I would be lost without that old sled. I actually get disgusted when we DON'T get snow......go figure! :roll:

I had the 440 version of that old Chap. If I remember correctly it was a '73. When she was running good, that thing was down right scary nasty. Too much HP on a tiny little frame to maintain any stability at high speeds. One of the squirreliest things I have ever driven. But fun as heck.

Neat setup with your home brew sled.

Really loving that old sled . . . it's almost as old as I am . . . I've got it beat by just a few years.

firefighterjake said:
Really loving that old sled . . . it's almost as old as I am . . . I've got it beat by just a few years.
yeah I was in diapers when that sled rolled off the assembly line too! :lol:

Jags said:
I had the 440 version of that old Chap. If I remember correctly it was a '73. When she was running good, that thing was down right scary nasty. Too much HP on a tiny little frame to maintain any stability at high speeds. One of the squirreliest things I have ever driven. But fun as heck.
Neat setup with your home brew sled.
Jags I widened the ski stance by almost 8" for that very reason. I rolled it more than once! When the old 340 dies I may install a 580cc Kawasaki in the old girl......that would be wicked! Its a great trail sled/work sled just the way it is.

Scotty Overkill said:
When the old 340 dies I may install a 580cc Kawasaki in the old girl...

:gulp: :grrr:
The 1973 440cc motor could tool that sled to 93 MPH on ice. I don't even want to think about the 580. WHoo hooo.

Jags said:
Scotty Overkill said:

The 1973 440cc motor could tool that sled to 93 MPH on ice. I don't even want to think about the 580. WHoo hooo.
there's a series of videos on YouTube of a guy who stuck one of those motors in an early 70's Elan ......CRAZY.....lol....

Scotty Overkill said:
Jags said:
Scotty Overkill said:

there's a series of videos on YouTube of a guy who stuck one of those motors in an early 70's Elan ......CRAZY.....lol....

EEEeek.

Scotty, that sled should really be nice for hauling the wood through the snow. I'd say you did just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.