The neighbor that keeps on giving

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I went down the road to do some more work today (finally!) and my buddy was standing outside. So we got to talking and he says "You want this hedge apple when I cut it down this week?" It's actually three trees intertwined and about 40' tall. His son is going to cut it down this week and then I get to start working on it too!

With friends like this who needs wood dealers?

fv

Super! Good buddy to have around.

Reactions: ScotO
Jackpot! ::-)

Please tell me you are only going to use that to smoke meat! You guys to the east of me kill me with these finds. I only use fruit wood to smoke meat because we don't have anything like that.

Awesome score!

I love burning apple and smoking with it also!
I have relatives in Eastern WA that hook me up for free and I bring many loads of it home every year.

Thats like hitting gold. Gotta LOVE me some Hedge. But as always pictures...:p

Reactions: ScotO
Smoking with hedge? I don't think that would be a good choice. Hedge is also known as osage orange. I might be wrong but I don't think it's considered a "fruit" tree.

fv

Please tell me you are only going to use that to smoke meat! You guys to the east of me kill me with these finds. I only use fruit wood to smoke meat because we don't have anything like that.

No - you won't want to smoke with hedge (osage). It is possible to cook over after it gets to coaling stage, but I sure wouldn't use it in raw form for the smoke.

For fruiting trees you want edible fruit woods to smoke with. Hedge ain't one of those.

Reactions: chvymn99 and ScotO
I got educated this past weekend about smoking meat . . . local BBQ place uses beech and it tastes pretty good. They tried maple and said it was a bit too sweet. Apple is very pricey to do commercially . . . and hickory is not all that common here.

Reactions: chvymn99
I am 85% hickory with some fruit woods being used for chops or loins. Maple for quick cooking fish (light flavor).

Mesquite - I won't even bring the stuff home.;sick

Reactions: chvymn99 and ScotO
Apple is the best smoking wood, IMO. Hickory comes in at a close second for me. I hear of the legendary pecan, but never got any to try.
White oak is also a subtle, smooth flavor. I like cherry, maple, pear.... and believe it or not, grapevine works too....
My neighbor up the lane uses corncobs!?!

Reactions: chvymn99 and Jags
You can't burn that stuff...it will melt your stove. If anyone tells you that, and plenty have told me that, they are fools.

That hedge is going to be a twisted mess and should give your Huskee a good workout....but it is well worth the effort. If you are hauling it out on a truck or trailer...be careful because it is deceivingly heavy and real easy to overload.

Hedge for smoking...pass. Apple, hickory, cherry, sassafras, and grape vines are what I use.

Reactions: chvymn99
Status
Not open for further replies.