The official 'cat stove/smoking flue' thread. :-s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
OK, so I just loaded up 2 hrs. ago with some Red Oak and Black Locust. After burning it in for maybe 10-15 minutes I closed the bypass, and stove temp above the cat began its slow climb. Looking at the plume, I see only steam, which is disappearing about 10-15 feet from the stack.
Forward to about half an hour ago; Cat is glowing, stove top above the cat is at 570. The air is set at about 1, on a scale of 4, and I'm starting to get some flame in the box and the cat isn't glowing since the flame is eating most of the smoke.
I go outside, it's dark so I use a flashlight and see smoke carrying pretty far from the stack....it smells more like creosote than straight wood smoke. Just a few minutes ago, I cut the air to about .25 to extinguish the flame and try to get the cat glowing again, and see what happens then.
I'm also getting a little smoke smell near the stove...I had the top flue-exit plate off the other day, blowing out the cat and messing with a longer cat probe. I think I need a new gasket on that top plate now, no biggie. When I had that top flue plate off, I didn't see any gooey creo, just powdery stuff. This smoke near the stove smells mostly like wood smoke, but faintly like creo.
Since the exhaust smell like creo, I'm thinking that hot cat and stove temps are burning off some creo, either in the box or in the stack. I don't recall seeing much wet creo in the box...maybe I need to look closer.
OK, now the flame is out, cat is glowing faintly again and I have about 470 stove temp over the cat. I go outside with the flashlight, and the plume looks more like steam, not carrying as far, but it's hard to tell at night. I go up on the roof to check out the exhaust close up. It's mostly steam but has some creo smell, which is to be expected, I guess.
Is the creo smell from the stack when the stove was hot, just creo burning off in the box? Or with more heat going up the flue from the hot cat and stove, and the air a bit open, is this coming off the liner? Doesn't seem likely to be producing that much smoke. If it's burning off in the box, since the creo smoke was making it past the combustor, is the combustor not real effective at burning creo smoke? What do you think is going on here?
Now about 2:45 in, air at .25, stove 470 so I believe the cat is burning, though not glowing. Nothing visible from the stack. Opened the air up a little, to about .5.

May be producing more smoke then the cat can process would be my guess.

Reactions: rdust
May be producing more smoke then the cat can process would be my guess.
I know the smoke need "residence time" in the cat, can't be blowing through too fast or the cat can't catch it all. But I think this is a little different. It's burning clean after I close the bypass, with the air at 1. Yes, more wood gets gassing as the load burns in more but even if I cut the air, I still get the creo smoke out of the stack as long as the cat is blazing and the stove top is hot.

Wet split. Non-cat burners see it more. The burn burns back through the load until it hits that wet one that finally drys out and then all hell breaks loose. But while that split is drying out you get the nasty smoke. The smelly moisture is going through the cat.

Last edited:
I can turn down my stove and it seems it can smolder more and thus create more smoke for the cat. Too much of that and some is sure to sneak through unburned.

i find that i can put the same wood in different days, and it does totally different things. i am going to make a log of when i have smoke, steam, temps, etc. when i throw elm bark in, it seems to smoke forever, even with the cat up to temp and the air way down.

i keep saying I will get a video.... but then it gets dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.