The perfect draft for fire starting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Thought I would post this for those who may sometimes have a problem with getting a draft going when the pipe/chimney is cold.

It's taken me 3 seasons to perfect this and it works perfectly every time for me.

Load with kindling/wood, place small portable heater near stove or fireplace door/entrance,............. open a door or window 1 inch in the same room near stove, position this heater so it is blowing hot air into and up stove pipe or chimney, let it run for a couple minutes so hot air can begin rising, then light kindling.

You can tell when it's drawing good because you will feel cool air going by you and up the pipe from the open door or window.

Let heater continue blowing hot air UP pipe or chimney for a few seconds until you see the smoke is going up well then unplug heater.

If wood stove, leave door slightly open for another couple minutes (watch it !) then close stove door.........last........close door or window.

They key here is to allow your little heater to begin pulling cold air into room and pushing hot air up pipe or chimney.

Robbie

Robbie, I will try this too as...I have a MASSIVE "stack-effect" inversion in my house. Let's see, it a 2-story house with fireplace on 1st floor, and chimney just about 16'. Chimney is in chase on the outside of house, luckily I'm not in really cold weather. I'm currently using the "blow dryer" for ~ 1 minute when starting a cold fire, then light a half-sheet of newpaper in the flue to get the air going. Figured out I have to just get a small fire buring, then add to it, as opposed to build it all and light it. Ok for now!

I have a two story tall 8" chimney pipe on the outside of my house. Sometimes you'll really feel the cold air pouring down when starting a fire. It will come down fast enough at times to blow out the lighter. :)

I haven't needed a heater yet to start the draft, but if I really feel a strong down draft I'll take 2-3 sheets of loose newspaper and place them on top of my kindling pile unrolled. I'll light them off in several corners so they catch and burn really quickly. If I close the doors and allow the paper to flare up it will generate enough heat to reverse the chimney flow every time and start off the main kindling paper.

I have the same issue when the stove is stone cold.
Yesterday there was quite the cool breeze.
I do the newspaper thing plus open the adjacent window.
Man, I hate to open that window.

Status
Not open for further replies.