1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The Pile is growing

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by wg_bent, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    According to my calculations, I'm 2/3 of the way there for next year. bout 6 cords here.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wingnut

wingnut New Member

Ya I would say so!! Nice job, Like I said it warms you twice!

ps take a break tomorrow and Happy Easter to you and your family!
  3. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Yes, very nice!!!!

And everyone, have a Happy Easter!!

God Bless.
  4. PAJerry

PAJerry Member

Loc:
    Waterford, PA
    Nothing warms the heart in spring like a nice stack of fresh-split firewood waiting for next winter. Happy Easter all!
  5. detmurds

detmurds New Member

Loc:
    Seabeck, WA
    Well, ...first of all,..this is my first post, I have ordered a wood burning insert for my fireplace, and have been using the chainsaw, and splitting firewood like crazy on this 2.38 acres with a new house here in the Pacific Northwest. Really looking forward to showing all my "wood-pile" prior the the start of this wood burning season. Summer isn't really even here yet, but I am ready for old man winter,..well, I will be very soon!
  6. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Welcome to the forums. What kinda wood you cutting there? Usually a lot of pine around there. I got about 3 cords maybe a little more of free pine delivered to me by a friend and so I'm cutting chunks very large to keep the stuff from burining too fast. Just hope it dries out enough to burn some this year. Pine seems to be hard to tell if it's green or not, since it's so light even when wet. Most other woods you can sort of tell by the weight when you pick up a split.

Good luck with your new toy.
  7. detmurds

detmurds New Member

Loc:
    Seabeck, WA
    Well Warren,...first off,...sorry it took so long for me to reply! I opoligize for that. As for the wood that I am splitting,...it is basically the big "fur" or "fir" trees you see here in Washington state. I was able to buy 3 DRY cords for 300 dollars here recently,...so I think I am set (it was delivered to me as well).

I also would like to state that I finally got my insert installed today,...it is one of the small models, but I love it, and I'm sure I will really love it when I need it! It is the Avalon brand, "Pendelton" model. I will post pics of it here very soon! I did manage to take pics of it while being installed in my tiny fireplace. I will share it with all here soon!
  8. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Splitting pine stinks eh? I think it might actually be worse than Elm. All those knots and branches that seem to grow all the way through the trunk. Plus a maul sinks into the wood and just mushes rather than splitting the round. At least elm cracks when you hit it hard enough.

Oh just got a line on another full cord of elm. All cut and placed by the road. All I have to do is pick it up. some of the rounds look to be up to 24" across. Those ought to be fun to split.
  9. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    If you're not careful, Warren, you're going to wind up like me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.