The power of oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttermark

Oct 24, 2009
Southern NH
Someone the next town over is selling dry split oak for 140 1/2cord.The ad mentions that much oak is as good as almost a cord of dry hardwood when it comes to heat power.Any comments on that?

Uh, for the most part, no.

It depends on the hardwood. It will be a little less than some and more than others and there are a few it has double the BTU's of but not many.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

The term "hardwood" here is unclear since oak is also a hardwood. Interprested literally you could say that a half cord of dry oak has almost as many BTU's as a full cord of dry oak.

there is a difference in btus between maple and oak, but if we are talking sugar/hard maple the in no way is half a cord of oak as good as a cord of maple. if that were the case, i would go from burning 4 cords of maple a year to 2! that would surely be nice!

Yes, all maple are not created equal when it comes to btu. For instance, on our place we have all soft maple. If we had our druthers, we 'druther burn hard maple.

Also, how could you say that oak is worth double what ash is?

It also depends upon how long that oak has seasoned. Most times when buying you still have to give that wood time before it is ready to burn.

All in all, it would be a cold day in Hell before I'd pay $280 for a cord of wood, but I also realize there is a difference in different areas of the country.

NH woodstove guy said:
Thanks for the link.
The hardwood would have been mostly maple with some birch as well.

This late in the season, I'd be hoping for "dry seasoned wood" and nothing else...... be glad it ain't Red Oak...........
but maybe it's mostly Sugar Maple and Black Birch.....wishful thinking.

WB

NH woodstove guy said:
Someone the next town over is selling dry split oak for 140 1/2cord.The ad mentions that much oak is as good as almost a cord of dry hardwood when it comes to heat power.Any comments on that?

Almost is a relative word. After hearing all the wood seller horror stories here, I'm a skeptic - is it almost a half a cord (64 cubic feet), almost seasoned (20% moisture) and almost a new vocab word ("heat power").

I've burned oak before. Decent wood. Dried well after a year.

Hope it works well for you.
Happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.