The re-stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood spliter

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, ny
Starting the storage process for next season.

Attachments

• starting.jpg
    starting.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 345
I leave mine stacked single row till at least September/October. Then into the shed it goes.

Shawn

wood spliter said:

Spliter looks good, what types of wood in your stacks?

Zap

wood spliter said:
zapny said:
wood spliter said:

Spliter looks good, what types of wood in your stacks?

Zap
Zap, The roe to the right is Cherry and maple. The 3 rows to the left is a mix of Red and White Oak.

Nice, one of these days I'll get some Oak.

Zap

I'm splitting and stacking wood for next season now. too. Is it going to be good to burn? I have a cord that's been stacked since september. I'm pretty sure that stuff will be good. But I'm splitting and stacking a mix of hardwoods. locust, Sugar maple, red and white oak. The locust and sugar maple will be good- I had the same stuff last year and it was great for this season, but I'm concerned about the oak.

What's been your experience woodsplitter. You've been burning on LI much longer than I have. Anyone else want to chime in?

DaFattKidd said:
I'm splitting and stacking wood for next season now. too. Is it going to be good to burn? I have a cord that's been stacked since september. I'm pretty sure that stuff will be good. But I'm splitting and stacking a mix of hardwoods. locust, Sugar maple, red and white oak. The locust and sugar maple will be good- I had the same stuff last year and it was great for this season, but I'm concerned about the oak.

What's been your experience woodsplitter. You've been burning on LI much longer than I have. Anyone else want to chime in?

If you are now splitting the Oak, and it was not standing dead wood, I would be surprised if it is ready to burn come Nov of this year. Probably best to wait another year. Now if it was standing dead, that seems to season faster (at least for me), maybe the cells walls are already open and it seasons faster? Anyway, I would keep an eye on that Oak and it probably will not be down to the moisture content that you want in time for the next burning season.

Shawn

Wood splitter that is nice. You'll be even better once you have it in the stack for 2-3 years before burning; especially that oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.