The Rhino with a Moose Plow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The Rhino had the oil changed plus we had the Moose Plow installed today. Made a few runs into the woods on the path to the wood and it seemed to work fine, some heavy wet snow.

The brakes on the old winch were shot so we bought a new one for the plow then I'll use the old one for winching trees down in the woods.

Pictures 2636 & 2637 are at the local rhino dealer, picture 2638 is on the way home when it got bad out and the last two are after I made a couple runs in the woods plus two down the driveway.

Attachments

• 100_2636.jpg
    100_2636.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 541
  • 100_2637.jpg
    100_2637.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 100_2638.jpg
    100_2638.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 523
  • 100_2639.jpg
    100_2639.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 543
  • 100_2640.jpg
    100_2640.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 548
The F250 better start looking for a new job.

SolarAndWood said:
The F250 better start looking for a new job.

I gave the F250 a break after this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday I did some cutting back with the truck plow and the JD 826 snowblower (it's a beast). Looking forward to getting more of the trail to the wood done Tuesday night.

With the cutting back done on Saturday and Sunday I made the driveway another two feet wider.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2632.jpg
    100_2632.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 503
  • 100_2633.jpg
    100_2633.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 508
  • 100_2634.jpg
    100_2634.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 509
Looks like that should do the trick for you Zap. I like the easy hookup you have too. Is that a 5' blade?

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like that should do the trick for you Zap. I like the easy hookup you have too. Is that a 5' blade?

I'm pretty sure it's 6 foot Sav. Edit / Sav I measured it tonight and it is a six footer.

Zap

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I'm pretty sure it's 6 foot Sav.

Zap

Just asking (cuz I have NO experience with a UTV). When the plow is angled, does that utv have enough front end weight to keep from sliding the front sideways?? I can actually slide the front end of my loaded plow jeep with a 6ft blade is why I am asking.

Jags said:
zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I'm pretty sure it's 6 foot Sav.

Zap

Just asking (cuz I have NO experience with a UTV). When the plow is angled, does that utv have enough front end weight to keep from sliding the front sideways?? I can actually slide the front end of my loaded plow jeep with a 6ft blade is why I am asking.

Jags it seems to be fine, I'm not sure if it's the chains on the front and back that make the difference. The whole thing is still new to me.

Zap

Awesome Plow!

zapny said:
Jags it seems to be fine, I'm not sure if it's the chains on the front and back that make the difference. The whole thing is still new to me.

Zap

Ahhh...front end chains - never even took that into consideration.

Jags. I plowed some snow over the weekend. I wasn't sure how it would do because the snow had settled a lot and you know how hard old snow is to push. The key for me seemed to be to lock the differential. Occasionally it would slide me sideways but not often. I recall with the old machine it would slide me really easy and that is why I had considered chains for the front like Zap has. But so far, I've not bought any chains. Also, I'm still amazed at the difference in how this machine does so much better.

Also, on kicking sideways. If you have the angle at the greatest, it will push you sideways a lot more. In the first notch I did not get as much but then the snow didn't want to roll off the blade very well as it was a bit sticky. Still got the job done nicely.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jags. I plowed some snow over the weekend. I wasn't sure how it would do because the snow had settled a lot and you know how hard old snow is to push. The key for me seemed to be to lock the differential. Occasionally it would slide me sideways but not often. I recall with the old machine it would slide me really easy and that is why I had considered chains for the front like Zap has. But so far, I've not bought any chains. Also, I'm still amazed at the difference in how this machine does so much better.

Also, on kicking sideways. If you have the angle at the greatest, it will push you sideways a lot more. In the first notch I did not get as much but then the snow didn't want to roll off the blade very well as it was a bit sticky. Still got the job done nicely.

Snow is settling big time again, almost buried the rhino and it was on the path that I've been running on. I'll wait until Sunday then run the plow over the trail for the first time, I did a stretch coming from the house down into the woods then to the wood we are bringing in and what a difference.

Zap

Looks good Zap

I like using the plow on my fourwheeler. But its so narrow I have to keep running back to pick up windrows. It must be nice to have a 6' wide plow.

Billy

That is awsome! Cool rig!!

Status
Not open for further replies.