The "Shoulder" Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Where did "The Shoulder Season" get it's name and what exactly does it represent. I "assume" it means from October 1 thru November 30th, and March 1st thru April 30th, but I realize its different for different parts of the world.

Just wondering about why it's called "shoulder" is all........???? Why not "Elbow??" Anybody know who coined that phrase?

-Soupy1957

I read on here once that the term comes from the travel industry, and if you graph demand for travel services, it end up sort of like a Bell curve where you have a "head" in the middle and "shoulders" on either side.

I thought it was because when you walked outside you did the normal reaction of hunching your shoulders and rubbing your upper arms and saying BURRRRR!!!!!

Really I have no idea, I haven't slept in 25hrs.

Yea, I figure it represents the time before and after the depth of winter, ............just didn't know its origins. "Travel industry" sounds reasonable.

-Soupy1957

We always blamed it on the ladies. Watch how so many will cover just the shoulders when they start getting cool. They will throw something over the shoulders, hence, the shoulder season.

Here it means whenever chunks and uglies are enough to keep the house warm and don't have to be dug out of a pile of snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.