The Snow and Neally hatchet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
About 6-7 yrs ago we had a nice newVC Encore in the kinda white enamel. We hadn't had that many fires in it so I was very particular with it. Both my daughters families were visiting. At that time we had only the one yr. old Grandson. Fortunately, today we have two more. Everyone, of course, was in the kitchen, because we all know that kitchen parties are the best. I decided to build a fire and went at it splitting kindling right next to the stove and preparing to light things off. I built a good base for the fire and was almost ready to light it off when I was called into the kitchen. As I got up and turned to go the little guy was about 6' behind watching the old man. I had to go but realized that I had my nice freshly sharpened Snow & Neally hatchet right next to the stove. I had to go but couldn't leave the hatchet so being in a rush I simply set it into the fire box on top of the ready to go wood. There, that settled that. I went into the kitchen and the little guy followed. I got sidetracked and later my daughter asked if I had started the fire. "No," I replied and quickly went into the LR, dropped the top lid, opened the front doors and lit it up and went back in the kitchen. That is the problem with a top loader that you can start from the front doors. A couple hours later we sere sitting in the LR and I glanced over at the stove and having been concerned about the hatchet I did not see it and immediately had that sinking feeling that we are all so proud of. Of course, I am sure that you have not done anything to compare, so there is really no reason to try to explain how foolish I felt. I still have the head to that hatchet. I guess I will try to re-temper it and whittle a new handle. One of these days!

• Haha
Reactions: Woody Stover
I hadn't heard of that company, but it sounds like a a keeper.

I would suggest calling a local to you blacksmith to talk about annealing, hardening and retempering before you hang it from a new haft. My local charges about $8 for all three steps on a hatchet if I am not in a hurry. When the forge is hot anyway he'll get a piece of mine glowing and he has a big sand box to let it cool off slowly in and etc, etc. I am sure he would charge a lot more if I wanted the thing back in a week or less.

The thing about wood fires without forced induction is you can certainly spoil the temper, but mostly likely your fire wasn't hot enough long enough for the head to be completely annealed. Most likely, ask your local blacksmith.

Plenty of online guides for hanging heads, I strongly prefer a shaving horse to a bench vise, though I could do with just a bench vise. Once I have the blank clamped in something all I really need is a sharp pencil, spokeshave, draw knife, rasp and a mallet. Have fun. I can usually find serviceable hatchet handles at the hardware store, I buy 6/4 ash and hickory planks and season them myself to get axe hafts from.

Snow and Nealey was a fairly famous supplier of axes and other forestry equipment out of Bangor Maine. They were known for a high grade product as they controlled the entire process including buying the base material and doing their own forging. The original company went out of business at some point. An Amish blacksmith in Maine bought the rights to the designs and went back into production. Initially they were buying chinese forgings and finishing them. The quality of the iron was reportedly good but not great due to lack of control of the material supply. That hand ax may be one of those models. Since then I believe that they are making at least some of their models from scratch. They do not have a website, various dealers buy them and resell them.

I have a couple S&N's which I purchased at their Bangor store probably 15 yrs ago. I was in the Rep business in New England for 25 yrs and traveled there frequently. Very good products of a very old and good American brand. When I tried to contact them there was no way to do so. I contacted Tom Lie-Nielsen about them and he had tried to buy the company to preserve an old Maine brand, but no joy there. To bad really as he makes wonderful woodworking tools and it would have been a great addition to his line.
Poindexter, good advice. Thanks for that. Now, I know right where that head is. I can lay my hands on it with no trouble if I spend a few hours digging. I'm in the middle of a stand-down on my shop and shed. It had gotten to the point that I couldn't walk three feet without having to do a doe-see-doe with something. I am happy to report I have found the floor and am creating space. I know it is in there!

Now, I know right where that head is. I can lay my hands on it with no trouble if I spend a few hours digging.

I used to wonder why my friend's shops were so unkempt, until I had kids of my own. The last kid moved out three years ago and mine is still in chaos. My shop is basically a superfund cleanup site.

I will keep an eye out for S&N in my headhunting.