The splitter I'd like to see...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I have a small electric splitter. They split a surprising amount of what I throw at it. I'd say at least 90% of it.

While the trend appears toward home owner sized 37 ton splitters I'd like to see a gas powered splitter in the 10-13 ton range.

I believe this could be marketed to the budget minded (Cheap) segment of society where the customer would install their own engine off a lawnmower or snowblower. There are millions of small engines out there that could be put to use.

Do you guys think there could be a market for something like this?

Matt

Nope. Contradiction lies between homeowner based item and advanced ability consumer that would move engines around. Build your own or buy it done.

There are splitters in the tonnage rating you're talking about, but they're already assembled and have engines and such. Poblem is, the cost of the materials and such isn't that much less than for a 20-22 ton machine, so why on earth would you buy a 15 ton gas powered splitter for $900 when you can get a 22 ton for $1000?

I could see maybe selling splitter kits for the DIY people, kind of like Cobra kit cars that gives you the shell and you need to get yourself a FOX bodied Mustang GT for the mechanicals. Cost of those kits would probably still be high relative to the cost of the finished product you can buy at the local box store, already assembled, tested and filled with oil and hydraulic fluid.

I saw a 13 ton gas powered splitter, but it was priced about 1K and couldn't be towed by a anything larger than a lawn tractor. They seem to have priced themselves out of the market considering the 22 ton at TSC is 1K.

My thought was that by scrounging the engine off something else, a product could be sold in the $500 dollar range. Double what the electric splitters cost, but half of what the 20 ton splitters cost. It would be nice if there was a splitter that had larger wheels so it could be towed at speed also.

Matt

I doubt there is much difference in the cost to market, build and distribute a 13 ton unit and a 20. Assembly labor is the same, just save a little in material.

....and its not so much the wheels that prevent towing at full speed -- its the lack of a suspension.

wood-fan-atic said:
....and its not so much the wheels that prevent towing at full speed -- its the lack of a suspension.

Uh.. Got one with 14" tires on it with no suspension that will run 70 with no problem! My buddy got pulled over by a State Trooper just because he wanted to look at the splitter! :)

Gary

EatenByLimestone said:
I saw a 13 ton gas powered splitter, but it was priced about 1K and couldn't be towed by a anything larger than a lawn tractor. They seem to have priced themselves out of the market considering the 22 ton at TSC is 1K.

My thought was that by scrounging the engine off something else, a product could be sold in the $500 dollar range. Double what the electric splitters cost, but half of what the 20 ton splitters cost. It would be nice if there was a splitter that had larger wheels so it could be towed at speed also.

Matt

Buy a 22 ton take the motor off it, put your lawn mower motor on it and sell the new motor. Problem solved! :)

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.