The stack installed Damper on a 30's vintage stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcloud5400

Nov 4, 2013
USA
Conceptually I think I understand it. Having a 1930's era parlor stove and having fired it now for the 4th time without the damper installed, she wastes no time at all dispatching wood and ushering insects into the afterlife. (after only a few firings I truly have a renewed respect for air tight and modern day stoves that go to great lengths in maximizing efficiency)

I would guess the damper would help keep some of the heat energy in the room/stove rather than let a huge portion of it escape unimpeded all out the stack?

I plan to install it tonight and have my fifth burn--good news is I am definitly learning how the stove responds to differnt loads.

Are there any precautions or places not to put the damper? is there an ideal location for it?

I plan to install it just above the slip joint--maybe about 24" above the stove top? Currently I have the slip joint just after the discharge piece on the stove.

Your thoughts and any other suggestions/insite etc are more than welcomed.
Thanks!

I have been thinking about adding a flue damper myself.

My concerns is restricting the draft as well as a good spot for creosote to build up, especially when you start drilling holes in the pipe.

Since i have an airtight stove and can shut the intake down completely i have elected to skip it for now. If you can't shut the air down to your stove then it may be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.