The sweep came today...............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
HAHA, the sweep would be me.
Ok a few things.
The home made baffle gasket I made last year, looks like new almost. Worked well, and is reusable.
After burning from occasional October fires, 24/7 from November to almost April, then occasional fires April through some of May.
I have dunno, maybe a Mason jar of fine white fly ash. Maybe a lil more.
The cap was very clean still. Just some build up on the bottom side of the hat, and one spot on the screen. The rest was clean as a whistle.
For me, just reinforces my thoughts that anyone who gets a screen full of crud and ends up taking it off, prolly is not burning as dry of wood as they think.
Or, they have small holes on the screen. Mine with 1/2" squares is not a problem at all. I'll keep my cap with screen, and have no problems. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)

See photos. Cap before, cap after.
Cleaned ash debris pile. Note the ash in front of the pile is some I left in the insert, and spread that & the ash pile out on the floor of the insert. Ready to burn.

Attachments

• PRIOR TO 8-30-09 CLEANING.JPG
    PRIOR TO 8-30-09 CLEANING.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 764
  • PRIOR TO 8-30-09 CLEANING 2.JPG
    PRIOR TO 8-30-09 CLEANING 2.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 751
  • AFTER 8-30-09 CLEANING 2.JPG
    AFTER 8-30-09 CLEANING 2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 740
Ash pile & home made gasket.
I am very pleased this gasket held up very well. And no more changing every year and purchasing every year, or 3 at a time.

Attachments

• ASH AFTER CLEANING 8-30-09.JPG
    ASH AFTER CLEANING 8-30-09.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 909
  • HOME MADE BAFFLE GASKET 1 YEAR OLD 8-30-09.JPG
    HOME MADE BAFFLE GASKET 1 YEAR OLD 8-30-09.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 908
Looking good Hog. Maybe you should patent that gasket?

What's a baffle gasket? :smirk:

BrotherBart said:

Thats the name they gave to the retirement fund for the CEO of PE. :bug:

BrotherBart said:

Ball buster, LOL, whats a baffle board? ;)

I was about to ask you in your other thread on how your rope gasket held up. I recently made a PE gasket out of kaowool and will be installing it when I clean the chimney in a few weeks. If it doesn't work, atleast I can fall back to your rope gasket design...

Gasket is in great condition.
One of the beefs I have with the Summit, is the front side where the baffle lays over the supply channel has no ledge, so nothing to compress and sandwich the gasket. Im fairly sure this is where the secondary action is happening in the back. I already have a newer improved gasket in mind. Im thinking a pc of glass gasket that folds and has the sticky side to it. Not sure if it will work, or how I am going to configure it yet.
I think I am going to make a prototype channel and baffle hole type jig to look at possible ways & solutions. Maybe I can patenet it and then sell the patent to PE, or sell em aftermarket LOL.

Hogwildz said:
One of the beefs I have with the Summit, is the front side where the baffle lays over the supply channel has no ledge, so nothing to compress and sandwich the gasket. Im fairly sure this is where the secondary action is happening in the back. I already have a newer improved gasket in mind. Im thinking a pc of glass gasket that folds and has the sticky side to it. Not sure if it will work, or how I am going to configure it yet.
I think I am going to make a prototype channel and baffle hole type jig to look at possible ways & solutions. Maybe I can patenet it and then sell the patent to PE, or sell em aftermarket LOL.

Just put a ceramic baffle board in the sucker and fugidaboutit. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

I'd rather replace the gasket, than the baffle board. ;)
Can the baffle board be painted brown?

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

I'd rather replace the gasket, than the baffle board. ;)
Can the baffle board be painted brown?

Until about two minutes after the pretty newspaper bows are lit off. :coolgrin:

Pretty newspaper bows............. LMFAO, I don't do bows here. Its a fire starter between two splits with kindling in the middle for me.
No paper, and hell no on the bows ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.