The value of (hot) coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure if there is "less" heat in the coals or if there is just a problem with oxygen distribution in the coal bed.

I find that stirring the coals a bit with the fire poker settles the ash and the coal bed jumps to life. That said I do notice more heat when the firebox is full.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I'm not really sure if there is "less" heat in the coals or if there is just a problem with oxygen distribution in the coal bed.

I find that stirring the coals a bit with the fire poker settles the ash and the coal bed jumps to life. That said I do notice more heat when the firebox is full.
theres more heat because theres twice as much fuel in the stove than a small pile of coals. i get some signifcant heat out of my coals with the bk.. i purposely have the wife turn the t stat down before she goes to work then when i get home i can rheat the house back up on some left over wood and coals for 3 or 4 hours.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:

theres more heat because theres twice as much fuel in the stove than a small pile of coals. i get some signifcant heat out of my coals with the bk.. i purposely have the wife turn the t stat down before she goes to work then when i get home i can rheat the house back up on some left over wood and coals for 3 or 4 hours.

Eco,

Well. . . yeah, after 1/2 the fuel has been consumed you could say there is now only 1/2 as much fuel left in the stove. That's not too difficult to figure.

But what we're talking about is whether 1 cu. ft. of coals puts out less heat than 1 cu. ft. of fresh wood. In this case the fuel amounts are equal. And if the heat yield is also equal then it serves no good to remove 1 cu. ft. of coals to replace it with 1 cu. ft. of fresh wood.

However, what I'm getting at is - you need to remove the ash to make room for more fuel. The problem is that it is impractical to remove ash without also removing the attendent coals.

Just think of whether you get more heat out of the same amount of wood by simply stacking the wood differently in the firebox. If you stack it in such a way as to promote good airflow you likely will notice more heat. Such it is with coals. If you can figure out how to get good airflow to the coals you'll probably get nearly as much heat from the coals as you would fresh wood (pound for pound of course).

I guarandangteeya that a 3 inch bed of coals ain't puttin' 700 degrees on the stovetop of my Oslo......a half a load of firewood will :)

your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.