The Wait Is Over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
It's good to be swinging my old maul again! Two months of not cutting any wood. The traditional gun deer season ended yesterday and today signaled my return to making firewood. I milked the cows this morning and after chores I took Mrs. Quads to town so she could do a little Christmas shopping. Then had an hour to cut some wood before tonight's milking.
IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

And there's plenty more ready and waiting!
IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

Looks like it was a beautiful day out there quads. I thought Santa bought all the presents? :lol:

Looks like a great day. i have been itching something real bad to get out and cut some wood, but with all the guests over the holiday, now the rain, oh and work isn't helping me any. Oh well, I am awaiting delivery of my Fiskar's SS and have Thursday set aside for some quality time with my saw and my new friend!

Yes, it was a great day to be out there, if only for an hour. I'm surprised that we don't have any snow yet. The last two years by now there was enough snow that it was difficult, then impossible the rest of the winter. Hopefully none off that this year. I don't like snow very much nowadays. A little is ok, maybe, as long as it's under 4 inches and goes away after the holidays. Like that's ever going to happen!

Looks like today will be even better! I'll be out there.

I have to say I always enjoy the pics you post Quads. Wisconsin looks like a very pretty place . . . or at least your little corner of paradise.

Awesome Quads

You have a great place. I hope to get to the farm and do some cutting in a week or two. I can do without the snow too. But I hope it get colder and freezes up. Its a wet muddy mess at the farm right now.

Billy

firefighterjake said:
I have to say I always enjoy the pics you post Quads. Wisconsin looks like a very pretty place . . . or at least your little corner of paradise.
I've only been out of the state of Wisconsin twice in my life. The first time I drove from here to Florida, then over to Texas, then back home. Some real pretty country along that route, or there was at that time, 30 years ago. I especially liked the lay of the land in Tennessee, but there was trash blowing around everywhere.

The second time I left the state, I drove out to San Diego and flew back. The mountainous states were very pretty. I didn't care much for San Diego though. All sand and too hot. Although, not a humid hot like it gets here in the summer, but I prefer cold weather over warm as long as the snow isn't too deep.

So, basically I do like Wisconsin, but it's all I've ever known! I've never been anywhere else for any length of time to compare it to.

Cowboy Billy said:
Awesome Quads

You have a great place. I hope to get to the farm and do some cutting in a week or two. I can do without the snow too. But I hope it get colder and freezes up. Its a wet muddy mess at the farm right now.

Billy
The cows are milked and I'm finishing up the last load of laundry then heading out to make more firewood. Beautiful bright day with a forecast high of 45°F. Tomorrow the temp starts to drop and gets a little snowy.

Funny, even as warm as it's been during the day lately, it's been freezing enough every night so that the wood I split yesterday had frost/ice in the middle.

Quads, I'm sure it is great to get back out there. Our season ended yesterday and I hope to get out this afternoon for a bit of cutting. Things have been a little hectic and busy as of late so cutting wood will be a great way to spend some quality time alone.

One of your pics quads with the dead one leaning on a standing tree, I just love those. As it keeps it off the ground and starts drying and is easy to reach to start cutting it up. Spent both days working wood for 2011 it was an awesome weekend in northern MI. This is just my 2nd year with an insert heating our home, love not having to keep an eye on the furnace thermostat and be an energy miser. House was 75 when I left this morning and the Lopi went 9 hours easy on just a short load of wood. Ashes have built up too much and it reduces how much I can fill er up for the night.

I have a lot of "leaners" out there. The one in the picture above is also leaning on a dead one (the green white pine is hiding behind it and might get messed up a little in the process). I've been looking at a fairly good sized leaner for a couple years that I haven't tried to cut yet. It's leaning into a clump of live bur oaks. I've been hesitant to cut that one because of the only reason I don't like leaners; saw pinching! The one in the picture above should be fairly easy, but the bigger one I have been hoping will crash the rest of the way down on it's own. Someday I might tackle it.

Milking time again and then after that I've got a few more pictures from today.

Well did you do any good this Deer Season? Somebody usually posts some pics of there harvest.

I don't hunt anymore, but I still go out and help the other guys with tracking and whatever. I saw a really nice one (alive and well, could have shot him with my camera if I had been expecting him), but the harvest was pretty poor here this year. 2 bucks out of 15 guys.

I think Quads you should make your woods a training site for new woodburners and charge admission to walk and see your little piece of heaven :)
I think a Quads book about wood cutting and woodburning with pics would be a big hit.....

JFK said:
I think Quads you should make your woods a training site for new woodburners and charge admission to walk and see your little piece of heaven :)
I think a Quads book about wood cutting and woodburning with pics would be a big hit.....
Ha ha! Thanks! But, the more stuff I do that isn't "making firewood", the less firewood I'm making. And that's one of my favorite things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.