The Wonderful Fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who feel chest pains coming on at the thought of shelling out $45 for the Fiskars, there's always the Leveraxe at $270............

locust loco said:
karri0n said:
locust loco said:
Here is a little experiment that anyone can do that might (but probably won’t) put the issue of handle length to rest. Grab a yard stick and hold it with your back hand at the very end and take a swing as if you were splitting wood with it. I’m guessing that regardless of your height (unless you’re approaching the 7’ mark) you will hit the floor/ground before it gets anywhere near your feet or legs. Now, choke up on the yard stick so that you can see the 28” mark behind you back hand. Take another swing and I suspect that if you are over about 5’-6” tall the end of the yard stick will or could hit your feet or shins. Operator error can happen to anyone. I would prefer the added insurance that the 36” handle provides. Therefore the operator’s height is a factor because the taller you are the further it is from your hands to the ground.
I’m 6’-4” and I can’t bend my knees or back in any comfortable manner (that I would want to repeat thousands of times) that would allow me to always hit the ground during any operator error episodes that might occur with a 28” handle. That said I would still like to try one of those miraculous Fiskars axes because I can’t imagine how it works that much better than the True Temper Super Splitter (Model: 1190700) since they both employ the same principals of physics. Someone in a previous thread said that they owned both the Fiskars and the True Temper and that the Fiskars was far superior. However I don’t recall that there were any specific reasons for this. Chock another one up for the supernatural Fiskars. I guess that leaves me solidly among that group that will not buy one of them until there is a 36”er available. The debate continues.

Ron

The reason the fiskars works better than the true temper is the slim profile of the edge on the fiskars. The fiskars simply slices into the wood on first impact, thereby getting further penetration for the taper to push the force outwards. There's nothing mythical going on here, just better engineering, and better metallurgy that makes a tool that can survive. If the true temper tried to make the edge as sharp and thin as the fiskars, it would break because the materials are not of as high a quality.

EDIT: Ballcock :lol:

Did you actually compare the profiles or are you making an assumption?

At any rate I still prefer the “full axe” as opposed to the “boys axe”. The longer handle is not for everyone because the longer handle would be “dangerous in the hands of a small or unskilled user with insufficient strength”.

http://campingrving.suite101.com/article.cfm/choose_the_right_size_axe

Ron

Ron, Have you actually used a Fiskars or are you just dismissing it outright because of the 28" handle??

If you haven't used one, you might want to re-read that article you linked to referring to a shorter handled axe as a "boy's axe" as at the beginning of the article the author states:

Axes come in a range of shaft lengths for each type, and within that range the user will find one that "feels right". This can sometimes be determined before purchase but unfortunately may only come with experience after actual use of the tool.

I noticed that nowhere in the article does he even mention the Fiskars line of axes, perhaps the article is a bit dated??

NP

Nonprophet said:
For those of you who feel chest pains coming on at the thought of shelling out $45 for the Fiskars, there's always the Leveraxe at $270............

I could hear his chest pains. That round was barely 12" - why he was messing with the tire for such a small round? I couldn't imagine swinging an off-weight axe like that.

That was alot more work than it needed to be with the tires. "Big, bigga, bigga ones" I like how he talks it through.

you can also hear byt the clinking sound that the splits make that this round is mostly dry that he's splitting. Is that axe really $270??? That's really absurd.

karri0n said:
Is that axe really $270??? That's really absurd.

Yep, it's $270 with the current exchange rate. The owner/designer is obviously VERY proud of it.......lol. If it was $80 I'd think about it, but at $270 it's joke quite frankly.

NP

[/b]
Nonprophet said:
locust loco said:
karri0n said:
locust loco said:
That said I would still like to try one of those miraculous Fiskars axes

Ron

The reason the fiskars works better than the true temper is the slim profile of the edge on the fiskars. The fiskars simply slices into the wood on first impact, thereby getting further penetration for the taper to push the force outwards. There's nothing mythical going on here, just better engineering, and better metallurgy that makes a tool that can survive. If the true temper tried to make the edge as sharp and thin as the fiskars, it would break because the materials are not of as high a quality.

EDIT: Ballcock :lol:

Did you actually compare the profiles or are you making an assumption?

At any rate I still prefer the “full axe” as opposed to the “boys axe”. The longer handle is not for everyone because the longer handle would be “dangerous in the hands of a small or unskilled user with insufficient strength”.

http://campingrving.suite101.com/article.cfm/choose_the_right_size_axe

Ron

Ron, Have you actually used a Fiskars or are you just dismissing it outright because of the 28" handle??

If you haven't used one, you might want to re-read that article you linked to referring to a shorter handled axe as a "boy's axe" as at the beginning of the article the author states:

Axes come in a range of shaft lengths for each type, and within that range the user will find one that "feels right". This can sometimes be determined before purchase but unfortunately may only come with experience after actual use of the tool.

I noticed that nowhere in the article does he even mention the Fiskars line of axes, perhaps the article is a bit dated??

NP

First, before anyone gets too bent, the stab about being a “boys axe” is in jest. Just a misguided attempt on my part to get a few Fiskars addicts riled up. When I read the article and saw that this author considers a 28” handle to be a “boys axe” ………well I simply couldn’t resist. Of course if you Google “boys axe” you will find that this author is not the only one that would call an axe with a 28” handle a “boys axe”. But it’s just that “a name”. I haven’t read anywhere that a 28” axe is actually intended to be used only by a boy.

To your first question I would say neither. I have neither used one nor am I dismissing it outright. Instead you’ll see that I indicated that I would like to try one.

I read his entire article more than once. I’m not sure why you’re suggesting that I reread the two sentences above. In fact in my case a splitting axe with a 36” handle is what “feels right”.

The article may very well predate the birth of the wonderful Fiskars however I don’t see how that makes his article irrelevant or even less useful. I suspect he doesn’t mention any brand names in his article intentionally. The author instead is simply breaking down the selection process in an attempt to help anyone that is looking to purchase a chopping or splitting tool. His last sentence sums up the entire article very well.

“For most efficient cutting and greatest safety, choose an axe that is right for the job, with a head weight and handle length that suits the strength, frame, and skill of the user.”

For some folks that selection process may very well result in the purchase of a 28” Fiskars. But, for anyone to suggest that purchasing a 28” Fiskars is the right choice for everyone is approaching the absurd.

Personally I’m looking forward to the day that a 36” Fiskars hits the market. I will likely be one of the first to buy one.

Ron

Not a boy’s axe user.
Sorry, it’s going to be really hard to let that one go. :)

Skier76 said:
beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Ballcock

I love this site!!!

Big_Redd,...... consider yourself Quoted!

Thank you for the much needed laugh!

locust loco said:
First, before anyone gets too bent, the stab about being a “boys axe” is in jest. Just a misguided attempt on my part to get a few Fiskars addicts riled up.

There's been more than a few people in this thread that like to "rile up" Fiskars fans--I just don't get that........

But, for anyone to suggest that purchasing a 28” Fiskars is the right choice for everyone is approaching the absurd.

Agreed. Never seen anybody do that.........

Personally I’m looking forward to the day that a 36” Fiskars hits the market. I will likely be one of the first to buy one.

If they ever introduce one I'd like to try it, but I've become very fond of the 28" version.

NP

I would like to see a fiskars maul! now that would be impressive!

nocdpc said:

It is a maul, just a lighter one. The difference that is noted is that with the 4.5 lb head it's swinging a lot faster than with a 6 or 8 or 12 pound maul, and that swinging it won't tire one out so quickly. The increase in accuracy by using the shorter handle is also notable.

Speed is much more important in impact force than weight.

nocdpc said:

The Super Splitter works so well it is not necessary. You don't see Huskee making a hydraulic mauler.

Alberta Burner said:
Does anyone know why the Super Splitting Axe is not available in Canada? The pro is available, but not the Super.

Canada has very strict rules against "shin damaging devices."

:coolgrin:

Nonprophet said:
Alberta Burner said:
Does anyone know why the Super Splitting Axe is not available in Canada? The pro is available, but not the Super.

Canada has very strict rules against "shin damaging devices."

:coolgrin:
Nice guess but really it's our false advertising legislation that keeps them out.

I emailed Fiskars exactly in regard to the Super not being available in Canada. This was the correspondance:

{Me: "Hello, I live in Ontario Canada and I have been the proud owner of the absolutely awesome Fiskar's Pro Splitter for about two years now. I heat the house with wood during the fall/winter/spring seasons, so I cut and split about 6 bush cords a year. I love the Pro Splitter and rave about it to anyone who is interested! As a second generation Finn, the fact it is made in Finland and is of the utmost quality is just icing on the cake. That said, there are times where a heavier head on the axe would come in handy. In Canada we have some pretty big tough trees too. I know that the Fiskars Super Splitter (4 lbs head) sold in the US, but for some reason not in Canada. Is there anyway that I can become the proud owner of a Super Splitter too?!"

Fiskars Response: "Good afternoon! Thank you for your inquiry – unfortunately, we do not carry that item in Canada. However, you will likely find an online retailer in the states that would ship to your address. Our part number is the US is 7854.

Good luck and thanks for choosing Fiskars!"

My Reply: "Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I am aware that I can purchase a Super Splitter online. However, shipping is an extra cost that is quite expensive, discouraging me from picking one up so far.

I am just wondering what the reasoning is that they are not available here; and if there is any plan to make them available? I purchased my Pro splitter at Canadian Tire (who sells a whole array of Fiskars products) and the Super would be a great addition to the Fiskar's products they carry.

I think alot of Canadians might not purchase the Pro Splitter because they feel that the head does not have sufficient weight, and instead they buy a maul from another manufacturer. If the Super was available, I am pretty sure they would sell by the truckloads. There is a high percentage of firewood burners on this side of the border."

Fiskars Final Response: "I will definitely pass along your feedback to our product manager. While I can’t promise that if/when it will become available, we’ll certainly do our best!

Have a great day"}

I don't know if my emails will make a difference. I do find it weird that the Super isn't available here. Maybe us Canucks on this forum can send emails via their website in regard to this. A unified chorus might change things!

As soon as they come out with the Super Pro model sporting a longer curved handle, I will stand in line to buy one. Heck, I will even cross the border and stand in line on American soil. I just hope the CDN$ is strong when the time comes.

Sisu said:
I emailed Fiskars exactly in regard to the Super not being available in Canada. This was the correspondance:

{Me: "Hello, I live in Ontario Canada and I have been the proud owner of the absolutely awesome Fiskar's Pro Splitter for about two years now. I heat the house with wood during the fall/winter/spring seasons, so I cut and split about 6 bush cords a year. I love the Pro Splitter and rave about it to anyone who is interested! As a second generation Finn, the fact it is made in Finland and is of the utmost quality is just icing on the cake. That said, there are times where a heavier head on the axe would come in handy. In Canada we have some pretty big tough trees too. I know that the Fiskars Super Splitter (4 lbs head) sold in the US, but for some reason not in Canada. Is there anyway that I can become the proud owner of a Super Splitter too?!"

Fiskars Response: "Good afternoon! Thank you for your inquiry – unfortunately, we do not carry that item in Canada. However, you will likely find an online retailer in the states that would ship to your address. Our part number is the US is 7854.

Good luck and thanks for choosing Fiskars!"

My Reply: "Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I am aware that I can purchase a Super Splitter online. However, shipping is an extra cost that is quite expensive, discouraging me from picking one up so far.

I am just wondering what the reasoning is that they are not available here; and if there is any plan to make them available? I purchased my Pro splitter at Canadian Tire (who sells a whole array of Fiskars products) and the Super would be a great addition to the Fiskar's products they carry.

I think alot of Canadians might not purchase the Pro Splitter because they feel that the head does not have sufficient weight, and instead they buy a maul from another manufacturer. If the Super was available, I am pretty sure they would sell by the truckloads. There is a high percentage of firewood burners on this side of the border."

Fiskars Final Response: "I will definitely pass along your feedback to our product manager. While I can’t promise that if/when it will become available, we’ll certainly do our best!

Have a great day"}

I don't know if my emails will make a difference. I do find it weird that the Super isn't available here. Maybe us Canucks on this forum can send emails via their website in regard to this. A unified chorus might change things!

It's actually quite difficult to find the Super in any retailers in the U.S. too. We can find the Pro, but I had to buy the Super online.

Fire off an email to them via their site. They responded to my original query in two days, and once I had the representative's direct email address, she responded to the subsequent emails in minutes.

I remembe seeing an axe at the Stihl dealer that may have been a Fiskers private labeled as a Stihl, wonder if this is the case. Perhaps Stihl Canada has a deal with Fiskers? Look at page 89 of the Stihl Canada catalog (near the bottom), is that not the Fiskers Super??

http://www.stihl.ca/downloads/2008CatalogueFull-English.pdf

OK REALLY, this thread needs to die....

beating-a-dead-horse-ballcock.gif

I was wondering what you guys like best, Ford or Chevy?

I bought one awhile ago. Can't wait until my electric splitter breaks so I can try it out :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.