1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The wood dog house

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by bayshorecs, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Built this today to store the wood soon to be burned in easy access:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a PITA piece of elm to split up:

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Rockey

Rockey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    I give it an A for ingenuity. Open the window and boom theres the wood. I don't know about the aesthetics or practicallity with a wife. I just might have to try this!
  3. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    It holds about 1/4 cord of wood. So far, it is working out pretty nice. I plan to paint it and have the wife use it in the summer for storing the outside chair cushions.
  4. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    Clever, good idea. But be careful when stacking, don't let one get away from you and take out a pane of glass. Boy, that's going to be nice and convenient this winter, though- you don't even have to go outside on those bad days. Way cool!
  5. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    I have been watching the glass and hope I don't have an accident! Worked nice last night. I got up a couple times in the middle of the night to add a log or 2 on the fire and didn't have to go outside. Plus, I don't need to keep any wood inside so all of the bugs stay outside.
  6. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Thats a good idea. Looks great and seems to make things quite efficient. I love all the stuff that people do here and show pics...get some really good tips and idea here.
    Thanks for sharing.
  7. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    It was cheap too. I used scrap boards from Menards which cost me $.29 per board. Total cost was $20 to build it. If I had a truck to carry boards larger than 4', I might have been able to make it a little cheaper, but I am not complaining!

Don't have to get dressed, freeze outside looking for wood, flashlight, carrying wood through the entire house, etc. Wood stays outside and stays dry. Reload it every 3-4 days I am guessing.

Only complaint so far from the wife is that she is too short to reach the splits towards the back of the dog house. I gave her a foot stool! LOL
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Sweeet Good thinking!
  9. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Nice.

I'd have to protect the glass pane from breaking. No maybe for me, just when.
    I'd have to keep the curtain closed too, so no one would see any wildlife hunting.
  10. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    That is a sweet setup.. Don`t break that glass though--otherwise you might find yourself in the "doghouse". :lol:
  11. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    I have stacked it sloping back away from the window, but I agree, need to be careful!
  12. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Not sure I understand this part of the multi-use plan. Wouldn't the time to be storing the outside chair cushions be the same time to be using this as the ready service firewood locker? Or do you sit outside while you're burning inside? You might have to build something else for the chair cushions. ;-P Rick
  13. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    C'mon Rick- it's way too warm in the house with that big glowing metal box in there. Don't be silly
  14. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    She likes to take the cushions inside when it is supposed to rain. In the winter, we put them in the attic storage.
  15. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    a window with a view, how nice! Not sure most people would feel the same, but the people around here might, lol.
  16. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Ahh...now it all becomes clear to me. You're married to a very organized woman. I'm lucky if I go out the morning after an overnight snowfall to find the sunroof on my wife's car was shut. %-P Rick
  17. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Must say, I do like the view!

Rick, if you only knew...
  18. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    BTW, the framing for the door should really be on the underside, shouldn't it? I mean, i understand maximizing space underneath, but there are a bunch of places for water to catch up in there and sit. So, as is, I predict one of two things. 1. Moss/mildew/mold buildup on it (if it's treated wood) or 2. Rotting wood in a year (if it's not treated wood)
  19. bayshorecs

bayshorecs New Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    I plan to paint it to help with the water issue. With the materials I had, I had to install the door that way to get it to close properly. Most of the structure is under the overhang, so if anything rots, it will be about $5 worth of wood on the door. I would pay $5 per season if I had to.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.