The Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
I've mentioned in other posts that I planned to put up a shed this spring.
Well, the ground finally thawed enough to allow posts to go in the ground. I have a bunch of wood that got milled by myself and a local guy off the property here, so that's going to be used for everything from this point on. I have to run everything through the planer, jointer, and tablesaw to final sizes, so that'll start today.
I know it doesn't look like much yet, but it will in a few days.
I'll post updates as things progress, although that might take a couple days (going in this afternoon for a tooth extraction).
I can't wait to get this done.
Oh, almost forgot, dimensions are 16x10.

Attachments

• IMG_3791resize.jpeg
    IMG_3791resize.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2,566
PapaDave said:
I've mentioned in other posts that I planned to put up a shed this spring.
Well, the ground finally thawed enough to allow posts to go in the ground. I have a bunch of wood that got milled by myself and a local guy off the property here, so that's going to be used for everything from this point on. I have to run everything through the planer, jointer, and tablesaw to final sizes, so that'll start today.
I know it doesn't look like much yet, but it will in a few days.
I'll post updates as things progress, although that might take a couple days (going in this afternoon for a tooth extraction).
I can't wait to get this done.
Oh, almost forgot, dimensions are 16x10.

Looks good PapaDave, keep us updated on the shed also good luck with the extraction.

zap

will everybody please stop posting pictures of your kick@$$ woodsheds? seriously. i'm gonna have to build one now, and i'll be blaming y'all when my wife gripes about it.

good luck with your tooth extraction. I hope it's the one in the back and not the one on the top that meets up with the one on the bottom.

(and FWIW, everybody, that was a joke. I certainly don't think PapaDave only has three teeth)

What are you using for a floor/base?

I'm planning something similar myself this summer so I'll be interested in learning what you may have done differently after it's finished(at least that always happens to me!). What size posts are those...6X6? How high will it be inside? I plan to put in a gravel "floor" and on top of that some pallets...in this way any downhill runoff will have some drainage and the wood will stay dry. I also plan to keep my walls as open as possible so other than 2X4 wall studs I plan to just enclose with lattice work. I think I may also have tarps that can drop down when needed on the prevailing wind sides for any serious rainstorms.

Danno77 said:
will everybody please stop posting pictures of your kick@$$ woodsheds? seriously. i'm gonna have to build one now, and i'll be blaming y'all when my wife gripes about it.

good luck with your tooth extraction. I hope it's the one in the back and not the one on the top that meets up with the one on the bottom.

(and FWIW, everybody, that was a joke. I certainly don't think PapaDave only has three teeth)

Well, I don't care who 'ya are, that right there is funny.
It's not a kick@$$ wood shed just yet. It's only some 4x4 posts in the ground. Heading out to the shop now.

PapaDave said:
Danno77 said:
What are you using for a floor/base?

I need to level the ground, then put down pallets.
I'm with ya, that's what I'm planning. Besides the kick@$$ comment was because I know where this thread is going. I bet it turns out great.

I was thinking of doing a 16x10 also for the fall. I was figuring about 5 cord would fit in there, is that was you were figuring roughly? Also, did you concrete those posts in the ground? Its hard to see in the pick, I am thinking that if we get a serious wind storm during the winter, and those posts arent fastened really well to the ground, then there could be some uplift if the wind gets under the roof. Please post plenty of pics during the process of the shed, I will be interested in seeing your design, whereas I was hoping to put up something very similar this fall.
Looks good so far!

JayDogg said:
I was thinking of doing a 16x10 also for the fall. I was figuring about 5 cord would fit in there, is that was you were figuring roughly? Also, did you concrete those posts in the ground? Its hard to see in the pick, I am thinking that if we get a serious wind storm during the winter, and those posts arent fastened really well to the ground, then there could be some uplift if the wind gets under the roof. Please post plenty of pics during the process of the shed, I will be interested in seeing your design, whereas I was hoping to put up something very similar this fall.
Looks good so far!

Not sure what soil you have but around here 6in. in clay and its not moving! thats around 36-42 inchs

We've got about 3-4" of sandy topsoil, then about 2' of sand, then it turns into a sandy clay at about 30 inches.
No quickrete in the holes, and they're down 33". I put up a fence 2 years ago and only put the posts down 2', and no heaving or movement on those. Plenty of drainage in this sand, so no worries. It's going to be sided with rough sawn planks.
Jaydogg, the plan is to stack an average of 6' high, so that works out to 7.5 cord. More than what I need for a winter, so I may just put in 5.5-6, and leave room for a chair or two.
I like the idea of gravel down first, but not in the plan this year.
It's basically a miniature pole barn.
I got some of the planks milled down this afternoon, but not as much as I wanted. We had to go into town a couple times, and I got a late start. Tomorrow's another day though.

muncybob said:
I'm planning something similar myself this summer so I'll be interested in learning what you may have done differently after it's finished(at least that always happens to me!). What size posts are those...6X6? How high will it be inside? I plan to put in a gravel "floor" and on top of that some pallets...in this way any downhill runoff will have some drainage and the wood will stay dry. I also plan to keep my walls as open as possible so other than 2X4 wall studs I plan to just enclose with lattice work. I think I may also have tarps that can drop down when needed on the prevailing wind sides for any serious rainstorms.

Posts are 4x4. The front opening should be close to 7', and drop to about 5-5.5' at the back.
I wanted to get this done asap so I know it's done and can put the wood in as I have time. Probably won't put too much in there until somewhere around August.
I like the idea of a tarp on the front, but not sure I want to deal with those any more. I'm putting up the shed to eliminate their use.

I hear you about the tarps!! But, a simple rope system to raise and lower is a far cry from the PITA of covering the wood piles and I would only be using when a "noreaster" or similar storm hits (like last night).

BuckCoBernie, how many cord can you fit under that contraption of yours?? That looks like a pretty sweet pallet shed! You got any more pics of that?

JayDogg said:
BuckCoBernie, how many cord can you fit under that contraption of yours?? That looks like a pretty sweet pallet shed! You got any more pics of that?

I estimated 3 cords if packed tightly and to the ceiling. 2-2.5 if you want to leave some breathing room. Im actually taking it apart soon and just lining the driveway with the pallets and stacking everything uncovered. I have a pretty big porch that I can load to keep the splits dry when I need to burn.

BucksCoBernie said:
oh man where did you find an invisible roof? thats pretty sweet!

j/k

Bernie, very astute observation! I didn't think anybody would notice.
I mean, after all, it IS invisible.
If you look VERY closely, you'll notice that the walls are also invisible. Was gonna' do camo, but everybody does camo. :lol:
Dang it, that was supposed to be an invisible smiley.

Ok, so I got the planks done yesterday. They got put together similar to a lam beam. Had to wait for my brother to come over to hoist it in place. Could have done it myself with some bracing, but I like to make him work.
1.75"x8"x18'. I think I'll make one more of these, then just buy the rest of the stuff for the roof. I have the tar paper and shingles I need, left over from the house re-roof a couple years ago.
The wife wants me to help with some livestock stuff tomorrow, then Sat., we plan to go to Mio for a couple of hours, so this has to get fit in when I can.
Anyway, I'm making SOME progress.

Attachments

• IMG_3798resize.jpeg
    IMG_3798resize.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,337
  • IMG_3799resize.jpeg
    IMG_3799resize.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,308
Looking good.
Watching keenly as I plan a woodshed this year too.
4-6 week before frost gone here though.

bogydave said:
Looking good.
Watching keenly as I plan a woodshed this year too.
4-6 week before frost gone here though.

Oh jeez, the pressure's on.
You should have seen me before I was able to actually get in the ground. The post hole digger was bouncing off the frost. Clunk! Finally got one post down, then couldn't do the rest for several days, and ended up moving that first one.
It won't look as nice as Rick's, but it'll git' 'er done.

It's been a few days since an update on this, but I finally got some more done today.
Went to a job bid today with my brother, and looks like it's going to turn into much more than originally planned. Soooo, I decided to just buy the rest of the boards for the shed. Got those today, and got 'em banged up when I got home this afternoon.
We'll be busy a good chunk of tomorrow, but the roof is next,.......whenever that might be. :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_3801resize.jpeg
    IMG_3801resize.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,316
  • IMG_3804resize.jpeg
    IMG_3804resize.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,329
Looking good
Is that a 10 foot span & are those 2x6 s for the roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.