1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Thelin-Thompson Wood Burning Gnome Stove

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by mxitman, Feb 26, 2014.

1. mxitman

mxitman New Member

Loc:
    Seattle,WA
    Hi, I've been lurking on here for some time, thanks for all the info I've gotten from everybody. Thought I would finally get a membership and try to contribute a little.

We are moving soon and I have an old wood stove that came with our house, it's unique and I thought it to be the common Thelin Gnome pellet stove, but after digging it out from the basement it looks to be a wood burner I took some measurements and it doesn't measure up to the gnome stove that's made today I also did not find any pellet components. Not much info I can find other than it looks to be like the Parlour model that's made today.

It's rough measurements are 20-21" wide x 48" or so, I took a few pictures and any insight or possible value would be great, I really appreciate it. Not sure if it's worth to keep it and move it or just sell it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GENECOP likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's a beauty. I have no idea what it's worth. But I would guess with a little fixing up (replace mica and the missing hinge pin) maybe $500 to the right buyer? The mica is called isenglass and is still available in sheet form. You might be able to find a hinge pin or maybe a rivet that will fit.
    https://www.lehmans.com/p-3328-mica-the-original-isinglass.aspx
  3. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    cool stoves
    made right across the road from our shop here in Grass Valley
    my buddy worked there 20 yrs ago, maybe he assembled your stove :)
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Were they still using isenglass then?
  5. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    Not sure..
    and it might have been 30yrs ago my buddy worked there. He told me about receiving barrels of gnome legs and polishing on them for days at a time..
    he past away recently or i'd ask him :(
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like the kind of work I was doing a long while ago, polishing hand made hard disks.
  7. mxitman

mxitman New Member

Loc:
    Seattle,WA
    Is it ok to put regular wood-stove type glass instead of the using the mica?
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Possibly, if the window holders can handle the much thicker glass. I'm not sure if that would detract from its sale value or not.
  9. GENECOP

GENECOP Member

Loc:
    Ny
    She's a beauty, Congrats...
  10. arbutus

arbutus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan UP
    Those stoves just look cool. I'd keep it if I owned one.
  11. dlj

dlj New Member

Loc:
    Monroe, NY
    You can try and replace the mica with glass. There can be problems with clearance. But mica works really well and will last for many years as long as you don't poke something through it. I'd just replace the mica if it were my stove. It's cheap, easy to do and long lasting...

dj