1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

There are small cars and then there is the Peel

Post in 'The Green Room' started by begreen, Sep 3, 2010.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The original Fiat 500 weighed 1100lbs. The new one shares the underpinnings with the Ford Ka. Both weigh in at 1800-2000lbs. And there is the original Mini, a heavyweight weighing in at around 1400lbs.

I should also mention the famous Citroen 2CV here. It was another simple, tough form of transport. Like the 500, it still has a very loyal following. Weighed in dripping wet at 1200lbs.

From Wikipedia: It was designed to move the French peasantry on from horses and carts. It is considered one of Citroën's most iconic cars. In 1953, 'Autocar' in a technical review of the car wrote of, "...the extraordinary ingenuity of this design, which is undoubtedly the most original since the Model T Ford."[3] It was described by CAR magazine journalist and author LJK Setright as "the most intelligent application of minimalism ever to succeed as a car."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_2CV

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The Peel model I always wanted was the Emma. It really moved me.
  3. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Oh yeah! My heart throb for many years.
  4. offroadaudio

offroadaudio New Member

Loc:
    South Central Pa.
    Yeah - nothing like inviting more big brother into our lives. Cracks me up how some people can hate big pick up's and such......until their septic breaks - don't see many Honda Fits pulling a back-hoe.
    Electric cars should be taxed (or fee levied) for the disposal of the massive amounts of heavy metals their spent batteries add to the land fills. Not to mention their use of fossil fuel to generate the electricity - you know that evil coal. Not an issue with hybrids, I guess.
    Of course those little cars could be subsidized by body bag manufactures - should come standard.
  5. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Trucks are special purpose vehicles. It would be hard to haul 10 yds of dirt in a Prius, so what? It's hard to go 600 miles in an F350 without hauling 60 gallons of fuel. And I don't see a lot of them in tight city parking lots. Each has its purpose and place.

Electric car batteries will not end up in a landfill any more than lead acid ones do. That would be wasteful. Read up on battery recycling. And gasoline comes from big refineries that suck up lots of power too. And pumps have to run on electricity to keep pipelines going. Better to do it once instead of multiple times.

Silly myth that went out with Cheney. If that was so, countries like England, France or Germany would have much higher rates of automobile deaths. Not so. Many of today's smaller cars are superior in crash resistance to larger, older vehicles. Note how accident deaths continue to decline in spite of America finally on a downsizing trend.
  6. offroadaudio

offroadaudio New Member

Loc:
    South Central Pa.
    I think we're saying the same thing: trucks haul dirt / tow hoes - has it's purpose.

I'll still respectfully disagree on the body bag issue - my kids are safer in my quad cab pu with all the air bags - than in a Prius with all the air bags - laws of motion and mass.

It's also worth noting that recycling often takes an enormous amount of energy as well.

Just so this doesn't turn into a thread for the ash can, I'd like to say that I really enjoyed the video on the Peel, and watched it again with my wife. Neat car.
  7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Tis also the design and physics of impact absorption. Modern cars often have better designs for this. It is not as often seen in trucks.

I was rear-ended by a drunk in a truck while at a stop light. Fortunately I was in a car designed to absorb the impact. It saved my life. According to the cop, if I had been in a pickup truck, my neck would most likely have been broken. He was surprised I was walking afterward. Talking to the body shop guys they explained that this is because our car had built-in rear and front crumple zones, which do a better job of not transferring the sudden shock of deceleration on impact than many trucks. Not universally true, but it is a fact. True, eventually mass will win out. I don't intend on taking on Mack trucks any time soon. Never have, don't intend to, and wouldn't even if I owned an F350.

Again, the facts speak for themselves. In nations that have a much larger proportion of smaller vehicles than the US, there is no correlation of increased fatalities due to the smaller vehicle size.
  8. offroadaudio

offroadaudio New Member

Loc:
    South Central Pa.
    Good info -thanks
  9. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Thanks BeGreen, thats a hoot indeed, Randy
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Glad you enjoyed it Randy. This thread wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. I know I won't be in a Peel any time soon.