ThermGuard ...group or discount buy for Hearth.com members??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Hi everyone,

I saw the ThermGuard ( www.bearmountaindesign.com ) on another thread, but wanted to put it out there for people that are in the same situation I am.

I have baseboard hot water heat, and my upstairs bedrooms only get used occasionally, so I always wanted to keep the 'stat low. Unfortunately for me when I first bought the house, I didn't know that the main pipe runs through an unheated attic, and it froze-up on me.

The ThermGuard seems to be just what I need to keep the 'stat turned low, but keep the pipe from freezing.

It would be great if they could offer a discount and maybe free shipping to Hearth.com members??

macman said:
Hi everyone,

I saw the ThermGuard ( www.bearmountaindesign.com ) on another thread, but wanted to put it out there for people that are in the same situation I am.

I have baseboard hot water heat, and my upstairs bedrooms only get used occasionally, so I always wanted to keep the 'stat low. Unfortunately for me when I first bought the house, I didn't know that the main pipe runs through an unheated attic, and it froze-up on me.

The ThermGuard seems to be just what I need to keep the 'stat turned low, but keep the pipe from freezing.

It would be great if they could offer a discount and maybe free shipping to Hearth.com members??

Hi Folks,

John Walsh here. I realize these forums should not be used for product placement purposes, but I would like to respond to this inquiry. I created ThermGuard and it sounds like there is a growing groundswell of interest in Hearth.com. I really appreciate your support. I would like to offer free shipping and a 10% discount to all folks who purchase from now on who are associated with this great information forum. Please enter code: 101657512 in the vouncher/discount code. The hit the recalculate button.

OK...no more business from me....just help for folks who need to keep their pipes from freezing or wish to evenly heat their homes with their wood/pellet or corn stoves.

Thanks again for your business.

Cheers,
John
www.bearmountaindesign.com

TTT...

Thank you John! I will be placing an order in the coming weeks.

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to thank everyone who have been purchasing ThermGuards. There have been many positive comments on this thread. I have been seening a lot of discount codes entered so I know the word is getting around.

Cheers,
John

Ordered one last week. Wish i would have gone with the safe bet and just ordered before the cold weather hit. Just gotta love being woke up to the sound of running water................. from the wall. Looking forward to getting this so i can go back to burning pellets instead of oil. The $63 is certainly worth more than the 2 days it took to rip out,dryout, and repair the wall and pipe. Thanks to all on the forum that suggested buying one. Wish i had listened.

I got mine about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Great product!

Dwsmls said:
Ordered one last week. Wish i would have gone with the safe bet and just ordered before the cold weather hit. Just gotta love being woke up to the sound of running water................. from the wall. Looking forward to getting this so i can go back to burning pellets instead of oil. The $63 is certainly worth more than the 2 days it took to rip out,dryout, and repair the wall and pipe. Thanks to all on the forum that suggested buying one. Wish i had listened.

Sorry to hear that you had that problem....but hindsight is 20/20. You did what you thought was the right thing at the time.
You'll be glad you got the ThermGuard...I've had mine installed & running for the past 2 months (when it was really cold), and it works GREAT!

I have it set for 2 hrs. Off, then 2 min. ON. I could probably get away with 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 hours off, but I feel more secure this way.

Since your in a much colder area than i am, if your not sure what to set it to, contact John at BearMountainDesigns and tell him where you're located, and the pipe set-up your trying to protect...he'll get you in the ballpark on the settings.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just for anyone that's thinking of getting one, there is a discount code to get 10% off: Put code # 101657512 in the vouncher/discount code. The hit the recalculate button.

Dwsmls said:

Ouch! My pipes burst when my mother was staying at my house watching the kids for a week. She diligently loaded wood into the stove in the middle of the night and kept the house nice and toasty. It was really cold and the wind was blowing. A pipe burst in the wall and she didn't know what to do. The water ran down the wall into the basement and flooded it. The water only stopped when the well was drained. Lucky for me I have a poor producing well. Off topic a bit....my well is 920 feet deep!

$4000 worth of damage in the basement with carpet and drywall repair. Now with ThermGuard, I sleep well and know whoever is in the house when I travel they don't have to know all the quirky things you would have to do...like run the thermostats perodically....to keep the house in one piece.

All ThermGuard orders have shipped out so you should be getting it soon.

Cheers,
John

Just got mine in the mail Today. Thanks for the Quick Shipping.(I wish I had known about the Discount.)
Just reading the Instruction now to fix to my Hot Water Baseboard Heating .
BUT if it works the way its supposed to it'll be well worth $69.
I just had to pay $200 for a Plumber on New Years day to come and clear a Heating pipe that went through an Un Insulated part of my Attic.

It sounds like ThermGuard would have more than paid for itself if you could save one plumber visit. Not to mention the peace of mind you get not worrying about your pipes freezing.

Here is a quote from another customer with a comment about the installation instruction. It clears up what could be a little confusion when entering step 6:

"Thank you for your telephone assistance with the calibration of ThermGuard on my heating system. You have a great product as well as superior customer support. With regard to my set up issue please consider revising STEP 6 as follows: * Turn ThermGuard ON/OFF switch OFF then ON. (Add the following: Wait until ThermGuard repeats the last program by flashing the green and red LED's.) *Press and hold... It seems that ThermGuard will not recognize the Press and Hold for 6 second command until after it cycles through the last program. I immediately went to press and hold before the repeat last program ran...following your procedure exactly as printed....just a suggestion.Thanks again for a great product, Michael W. Sarasin PE, CQE, CQA"

Cheers,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.