1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

thermometer readings through multiple flue layers

Post in 'The Gear' started by Apprentice_GM, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apprentice_GM

Apprentice_GM Member

Loc:
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    G'day all,

I am interested in getting a thermometer to track my temp readings (for burning different species and moisture contents as well as calculating heat transfer flows with room ducting) but I have to go through a couple of flue shield layers to get to the active 6" flue. Do I have to cut out these shielding layers to mount a flue thermometer to the active properly, or is there a way of bringing the reading out easily?

For example, I have a cheap $20 multimeter which has themperature leads I can attach to objects and the multimeter tells me temps, but it doesn't go up to fireplace temps unfortunately, or I'd have a simple and cheap solution.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    I recommend a good inexpensive type-K thermocouple probe.

I believe you can get them for between $20 and $30 for the probe. and the meter can be had for between $60 and $100

Probe:

McMaster part # 39095K64
  3. Apprentice_GM

Apprentice_GM Member

Loc:
    Thanks TMonter - that looks like what I'm after. I might get a few probes, for temps in the firebox, flue, blower air and ducting, that can all use the same meter.

I would prefer if possible the meter to be in Celsius, and I couldn't see any listed at Mc's site, so I sent them an email question. Do you have any other sites possibly using metric/celsius I could check?
  4. Apprentice_GM

Apprentice_GM Member

Loc:
    McMaster won't/don't sell overseas any more. Here is their response to a query and an order I placed:

"Due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas. We can not provide a quote nor can we accept your orders. We regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Laura Nevrly "
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.