thermostat and 10-cpm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
Anyone out there with a 10-cpm (or similar) using a thermostat? This is my first year with a pellet stove, and I'm having a little trouble maintaining temps properly. Some days I get a lot of solar heat gain and the room with the stove hits high 70's. Some nights it gets colder than expected, and I wake up to a 64 degree house.

Other than the initial cost, is there any reason NOT to get a stat?

Any thoughts on what stat to get? I was planning on ordering the one on the englander website, mostly because it comes with instructions specifically for the stove. Electrical things are not my strong point. Might cost a little more, but at least I'll probably save a bunch of time and confusion on the install and hook up.

For those with a stat, where is it mounted in relation to the stove? I was thinking of mounting it on the wall behind and to the side of the stove to make it easier to run the wire. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

There is NO reason not to get a programmable unit for the stove. I have had a stat on my 10-cpm since the beginning, and have no problems with it. I recommend a Lux unit....easy to program, not too expensive. They also have the ability to change the "swing" setting. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C0G4O8/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

I even had a chat with Mike H. at Englander, and even he admitted there are better stats out there besides the one on their website.

The stat should be located at least 15' away from the stove, and somewhere that will not get any hot air from the stove hitting it directly. I have mine in the kitchen around a corner from the stove.

I have the daytime temps (when nobody is home) at 65 °F , and then have it go to 70 °F for the rest of the day after I get home from work.

Over night, I have it set for 66.

I don't have a 10-cpm but this year is my first year with a stat and is very consistent. I installed on the wall the stove is on a about 15 feet to the left. set a 72 when I am home and wake and every time I look at the stat that is what it says. My other stat for my electric heat pump is about 15 feet to the right and it says at 72. So over all it is very consistent, don't have to do anything accept fill the hopper. My stat is programmable so at night and when I am not home it is set back to 68. So far so good. I would definitely recommend it. :)

My parents have the same lux as mentioned here.

What i really hate about this stat. How much harder would it have been to add the current temp reading right beside the set point temp instead of having to push a button to view this.
This is irritating as hell. Otherwise an accurate unit

Status
Not open for further replies.