thermostat and air control on an early 80's vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pafmarine

Nov 11, 2010
long island
I have a question about the thermostatic coil for the air control on my vigilant wood stove. As I understand it, the air control should work in the following manner: as the stove heats up, the thermostat coil should expand and begin to close the air flap. As the stove begins to cool, the coil will contract and open the flap, therefore causing the stove to keep a somewhat constant heat production and temp. Of course the lever attached to the thermostat coil can be positioned to control the maximum and/or minimum overall travel of the flap for manual control as well. I hope this description of operation is correct.

Here is my problem. As my stove heats up, the flap OPENS. If I move the lever towards the floor to close the air flap a little and restrict air flow to the fire, a few minutes later the flap will be wide open again. At this point I can move the lever even further downward so the flap is almost all the way closed and again, a few minutes later the flap will open again. If I move the lever all the way to the vertical position so it is pointing directly at the floor the flap will stay closed but only because there will be slack in the chain that connects the air flap to the lever and coil assembly. Can anybody tell me if my theory of operation is correct and if so, what is wrong with my stove? Thanks.

Yes, you have the operation correct. It sounds like someone mounted the thermostatic coil assembly in reverse. Here is what it should operate like.

Attachments

• VC thermostat.jpg
    VC thermostat.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,331
Prob wrong control, may have been meant for a res or defiant. Make sure you get one for the Vigilant

Wow, my first post and almost instant responses with excellent info. Here are a couple of pics of my t-stat control setup. Does it look backwards? Does it look like it is incorrect. If it is backwards can I somehow just flip it around? Can I order a complete new setup from somewhere to make it correct? If so who can I get these parts from. Also, would the length of the chain make any difference? I guess I cant go wrong if I buy a complete assembly with all parts included and set it up like it came from the factory. Thanks a lot guys, you have been super helpful so far. PS, keep you and your family extra safe- own and carry a gun.

Damn, it says the size of my attachments are too large (tell that to my wife!) and I cant upload my pictures. When I look at my stove from behind, the chain is attached to the RIGHT hand side of the coil. According to the diagram one of you gents posted, my setup is incorrect. Can you guys confirm? Thanks again for all the help.

the coil might be on backward and you can switch its direction. Get the manual on internet and look, not all the VC stoves have the coil of the thermostat are on the same way so look and see if yours is backward but that is the way it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.