Thermostat, clean or dirty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
This question is to those who have a thermostat and have experience running the stove both with the thermostat and on manual. Have you noticed that there is any notable differences in how clean or dirty the stove runs in either mode?

I have used both ways. Steady burn works best in the cold weather. Or High/Low mode with stat is about the same. Steady burn tends to be picky in the shoulders and you have to keep tweaking it to keep even temps. Stat On/Off the house is the temp you set the stat at and it comps for the temp changes for you.

One thing with the newer stat stoves is they have a purge cycle on shutdown. So to me the stove stays cleaner than a steady burning stove. The purge(blowers go to high on shutdown) blows the crud out of the burnpot for clean restarts. Most stat stoves have this.

There are pro's and con's of both ways. Personally I feel the stat is a plus for me with its nice steady temp and I think I am saving pellets with a 6ºF temp swing when I am away or sleeping. To me it takes more fuel to hold a steady temp then to have the temp drop and recover. But each install would have variables. If this wasn't a case for savings your house furnace would also just run steady. But to "each is own" theory on it. I do use the High/Low feature when the temps drop bellow a 30ºF high temp. Less recovery time to get back to comfy temps.

Curious to hear what full time 24/7 runners say!

Status
Not open for further replies.