Thermostat Compatibility/Installation on a St Croix Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhickok11

Jan 16, 2012
Western Mass
Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 St Croix York insert. I want to install a programmable thermostat on the unit. I'm not really sure if I have to buy a specific thermostat for the unit or if most thermostats will work?

My stove is made for an optional thermostat, it has a switch on the controlboard to switch it to SmartStat mode, it has 2 wires for the the optional thermostat installation, my manual says the wires are 5v DC...

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics at all...

1. What time of wire do I need for the install?
  2. What do I have to look for in a thermostat to see if it is compatible?
  3. Will this one work?

Thanks in advance for your help. I would love to be able to contribute to this forum in the future, but for now I am a newbie and can only ask questions.

Reactions: Maysedward74
That stat should work just fine in smartstat mode on your stove and for wire you need two conductor 18 gage solid wire, you can get it at about any hardware store and it is called thermostat wire.

If you want to run the stove in on/off mode the t-stat you buy must have an adjustable swing setting or you'll wear out the igniter on the stove. The swing setting starts the stove when the temperature gets below the set point by the swing setting and turns the stove off when the temperature gets above the set point plus the swing setting.

Smartstat mode on the St. Croix stoves is a timed cycle mode where the controller sends the stove to low fire when the connection opens at set point and starts a 30 minute timer, if the stove doesn't see a call for heat during that time it starts shutdown until the t-stat again calls for heat.

I chose a thermostat with a 1 degree swing. The one that came with the stove had about a 3 or 4 degree swing, just enough so the Smartstat would shut the stove down, forcing the stove to start up several times a day. The narrower swing makes for more often calls for heat from the stove, so the stove never shuts down (unless it's really warm out). An added benefit is that the room temp stays pretty constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.