thermostat control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Hearth Supporter
Apr 4, 2007
My heritage is now "complete". As some of you may remember I painted my house this summer and found the flue plate didnt cover completely. Well, they finally came and fixed that today. So, I hope that I get alot more heat than I had been.
Ok, my thermostat is about 20' from my wood stove. I have hot water radiator heat. Im still going to need to run the boiler some, such that heat gets to the bedrooms upstairs. I dont think that I will have enough heat from the heritage to carry up the steps and heat the bedrooms. should I
A) set the thermostat a degree or two below what it seems my stove is going to keep the temp. so that it occasionally kicks on
B) manually override the thermostat at differnt times to keep heat up stairs
C) move the thermostat to the back hall that doesnt get much heat - not an easy task.

Im asking on here because Im sure that some of you have had to run into this and may have a simple solution that Im overlooking.

Thanks

there are new wireless thermostasts out there designed new additions to old houses. seems like it might work, you could install where ever you want. im not sure if they are hard wired or require batteries.

C. But put the thermostat in a location that is draft free (not near an outside door). Otherwise you will need to be constantly reseting it depending on what stage the fire is at (starting, burning hot, just coals etc.)

Buckeye, is there a basement or crawl-space underneath your home?If so,relocate that t'stat to a different interior wall away from the stove.It would be the most effective solution IMHO.

Best solution would to to install a zone valve to zone of your bedrooms on a separate zone and move the existing on futher away from the stove

Zone valve to the bedrooms is not an option, My house is on a full basement and that is another reason that I need the boiler to operate occasionally. I need to make sure that the pipes that carry the water to and from the boiler keep warm, which in turn keeps the basement warm enough to keep the domestic waterlines from freezing. Im guessing until I can move the t'stat I will have to manually turn the boiler on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.