Decision time. Down to two...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

voland

Sep 15, 2022
North Texas
I've been a long time lurker and Im finally getting to the point where my project is about to start becoming reality. I need to make a choice between the two stoves and I wanted to get everyone's opinion...

Im going to be heating a 30x30 open concept room with 20 foot ceilings in 2/3rs and 10 foot in the last 1/3 over the kitchen. The house will be pretty efficient with foam insulation, likely will be brining in outside air to feed the stove. We are also in Texas so this will likely not be running full time but rather when its really cold outside in the low 30's or if we have a power outage.

See below for room layout...

1690215903131.png

I have it narrowed down to two stoves:

https://www.hearthstonestoves.com/product/heritage/ Hearth Stone Heritage

https://www.vermontcastings.com/products/dauntless-flexburn-wood-burning-stove and a Vermont Casting Dauntless.

I know they are different types of stoves and will heat differently and on paper, it seems like the heathstone could be a better fit. Id like to get everyone's onions since this will be my first wood burner.

Which is a better choice for build quality and durability?
If we did lose power and had to rely on one of these stoves to heat the common area, which one would be best?
How different will the heat be with the soapstone?

Thanks in advance!

Which is a better choice for build quality and durability?
Go to the Hearthstone and Vermont Castings forums for several user reports and questions on these stove. Personally, I would not choose either for a first stove.
If we did lose power and had to rely on one of these stoves to heat the common area, which one would be best?
The Heritage would probably be the easier stove to manage.
How different will the heat be with the soapstone?
The stove will be slower to warm up, but when the fire dies down, the stone will continue to release heat slowly into the room.
Cast iron jacketed, steel stoves have much the same soft heat effect, but warm up quicker and some designs are much simpler. This is a plus for a first-time stove owner. Are Jotul or Pacific Energy stoves sold in the area? If so, look at the Jotul F45 and Pacific Energy T5.

In order to operate well, any stove will need dry, fully seasoned firewood. Good hardwood like oak can take a year or two to season after it's been split.

If the great room has a cathedral ceiling, the peak is where the heated air will want to stay. It will take ceiling fans to circulate the air in order to maintain a more even room temp. They will not run in a power outage unless an alternate source of power is available for them.

None of those would make my list.

^^^^ what the expert said.

Reactions: all night moe
I almost bought a Dauntless a few years ago but just couldn’t get past all the VC down draft stove issues I’ve heard of over the years. I ended up with a Jotul F45 and I’m very happy.

The Heritage is a beauty of a stove for sure. I’d probably opt for that over the Dauntless if that were my only two options. Not sure how the new hybrid burn system is working on the Heritage, haven’t seen many reviews. If you like soapstone also check out Woodstock.

Go to the Hearthstone and Vermont Castings forums for several user reports and questions on these stove. Personally, I would not choose either for a first stove.

The Heritage would probably be the easier stove to manage.

The stove will be slower to warm up, but when the fire dies down, the stone will continue to release heat slowly into the room.
Cast iron jacketed, steel stoves have much the same soft heat effect, but warm up quicker and some designs are much simpler. This is a plus for a first-time stove owner. Are Jotul or Pacific Energy stoves sold in the area? If so, look at the Jotul F45 and Pacific Energy T5.

In order to operate well, any stove will need dry, fully seasoned firewood. Good hardwood like oak can take a year or two to season after it's been split.

If the great room has a cathedral ceiling, the peak is where the heated air will want to stay. It will take ceiling fans to circulate the air in order to maintain a more even room temp. They will not run in a power outage unless an alternate source of power is available for them.

Thank you for the reply.

Ill go read up on the manufacturer specific forums to get some idea on quality etc.

I will have properly seasoned firewood. Maybe not the first year, but second and beyond for sure. I will likely not run the stove a lot the first year anyway.

I will have a generator that I will be able to run and would be able to spin a fan from time to time to mix up the air but Ill likely only have enough LP to run for a few days, not long term... Ill have to figure something else out for that...

As a Hearthstone owner, I would not ever suggest getting one. Soapstone is an insulator; it helps keep the heat inside the stove and out of the living area. If you want heat, go another way. If you want looks, buy it. They are awesome pretty stoves, just remember that you are buying for appearance and not function.

As a Hearthstone owner, I would not ever suggest getting one. Soapstone is an insulator; it helps keep the heat inside the stove and out of the living area. If you want heat, go another way. If you want looks, buy it. They are awesome pretty stoves, just remember that you are buying for appearance and not function.
Interesting. Thank you. I thought that while they would take longer to heat up, that they would maintain the heat, and heat well, longer.

I almost bought a Dauntless a few years ago but just couldn’t get past all the VC down draft stove issues I’ve heard of over the years. I ended up with a Jotul F45 and I’m very happy.

The Heritage is a beauty of a stove for sure. I’d probably opt for that over the Dauntless if that were my only two options. Not sure how the new hybrid burn system is working on the Heritage, haven’t seen many reviews. If you like soapstone also check out Woodstock.
Is the F45 still working good? I bought a Dauntless last year and its a nightmare. Im looking to grab a new F45 from a dealer nearby. I wanted something easy to run that I can let burn and walk away. How is it with low burns? Easy to clean ashes?

Another Hearthstone owner chiming in.

Stunningly beautiful stoves for sure, it is commented on whenever anyone comes in. Mine can be a little cold blooded to start but gets rolling pretty quickly with the right wood.

It has a much softer heat that a cast iron stove I burned for a very long time. The heat isn't in your face when you get close to it.

As far as emergency heating it just proved itself last week.
Like you my place is foam insul, closed cell which by the way is near magic. It sits in the center of the house, living room/ kitchen, 18x40 feet. 1800 sf total. Last week it was 5ish at night and mid teens during the day. My furnace quit working and the stove was the only heat. I kept the stone temp floating around 550 degrees, 600 is max so it was cruising. The house was comfy 60s in the corners and 70s in the center. It did what I bought it for.

It is not a set the thermostat and leave it kinda stove you have to run it but the amount of wood it holds it easily heats overnight with piles of embers in the morning to fire up from and will cruise for quite awhile once it's settled.

Is the F45 still working good? I bought a Dauntless last year and its a nightmare. Im looking to grab a new F45 from a dealer nearby. I wanted something easy to run that I can let burn and walk away. How is it with low burns? Easy to clean ashes?
Works like a champ! If you’re looking for an easy runner this is it. I’ve burned over a dozen different stoves over the years and this is one of the simplest to run. The glass stays super clean no matter how low I run it, has great control and can easily do 12+ hour burns.

Works like a champ! If you’re looking for an easy runner this is it. I’ve burned over a dozen different stoves over the years and this is one of the simplest to run. The glass stays super clean no matter how low I run it, has great control and can easily do 12+ hour burns.
Can you load it up without worrying about over fire?

Heritage is my vote. Had one in our previous place from 2014-2020 and it ran great. Heat was great and good wood is key plus knowing how soapstone heats.