Thermostat = increased electric bill?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smokey, you better unscrew that light bulb in your refrigerator...

We just put up the tree this week so its not that yet. The stove is set to 5 9? I believe and it is just set to run at the set thermostat setting, currently at 74 to keep the back of the house comfortable too. Is that what you mean?

Yep, running that convection blower full out causes some power to be used and there are frequently better blower motors on newer blowers. I changed the convection blower on my bucket of parts and electrical usage dropped.

Remember folks your stove isn't always the same as another's stove is.

Your power consumption will not be the same as a different stove's will be.

I can get a stove that only draws 17 watts running but there is also no igniter.

My average electrical usage is 478 KWh.

Led lights.

ETA: The highest usage here was for December of 2009 at 749 or so KWh, had just a few miniature outdoor lights up, plenty of light.
I should have you convince my wife, because I can't. She doesn't like the color temp of the LEDs.

I should have you convince my wife, because I can't. She doesn't like the color temp of the LEDs.

You can get them with the same color temps as incandescents for the regular light bulbs, they have even got the CRI up over 90 for some of them now.

I only use white led lights at Christmas now. I used to have several thousand miniature incandescent ones as I kept adding more every year.

I keep looking at others every year and they are getting better as well. I doubt if I'll buy anymore though. I have plenty as it is, been downsizing in that area.

Convincing the Mrs. isn't a job I'd want.

Mine had a bird when I changed all of the lights here to CFL. She got more than use to them when I put some good ones into her chair lamp and sewing room. There is tons of just the right kind of light, quilters love playing on color themes best you don't mess up their lighting it could be a long recovery period.

She is going to be the experimental animal for my switch out to LEDs since her room is light use heavy.

I'll have to try again. We have led bulbs in the kitchen and under cabinet lights, all which are close to natural light. She has no problems there. It's the Xmas tree lights she doesn't like. The tree pulls a whopping 232 watts. :\

Still waiting on prices to do my living room flood lights. Doesn't pay me to spend 30 a bulb right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.