1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

thermostat installation

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Gusser, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gusser

Gusser New Member

Loc:
    Canada
    I have a whitfield pellet stove and was wondering what exactly is controlled when you install a thermostat? Are you controlling the pellet auger speed or the blower or both? Will installing one create problems? I would like to control temp. to a lower setting during the night.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hotcookcpl

hotcookcpl New Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    I used to have a Whitfield some years ago, now I burn wood. Anyway, as I seem to remember, when the thermostat was NOT calling for heat the stove would operate in "pilot" mode (i.e. the slowest burn setting on the stove). When the thermostat called for heat the stove would run at the whatever the current setting was. I can't remember what the room blower would do.

You can test this by simply disconnecting and connecting the wire where the thermostat is supposed to get connected. Good luck.
  3. bdcbean

bdcbean New Member

Loc:
    New Zealand
    My guess would be that it reverts to different stages in the programme for a set input. So it would have to change the fan and auger together or you would end up with an inefficient burn.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.