Thermostat Pro Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaRaevn

Sep 2, 2015
Washington State
I'm having a problem with my pellet stove. Someone suggested that the problem is not the stove it is the thermostat. It's a Honeywell Pro5000 series I believe. Number on it TH5110D1022. It just has two wires, and operates on 2 AAA batteries. I put fresh batteries in it and it stove is still having issues.

Is this not an appropriate thermostat for a "solid fuel device"?

The installation set up is at this link: https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-2026.pdf

This is how I set it up, (perhaps I have made a wrong selection or is it just a wrong kind of thermostat?):

Under the Installer Setup Functions, after depressing and holding the left button and the up arrow button, the first step is to choose the System Type. I Chose 2 Heat only (2-wire, 3-wire zone valves [Series 20], and normally open zone valves)

Next function it took me to was 5 . I entered 3 Hot water systems or furnaces of 90%+ efficiency.

Next function it took me to was 14. I entered 0 Fahrenheit.

Next function it took me to was 27. I left it at 90.

That is all the function options it gave me after selecting the value 2 for System type.

The thermostat may require a 24vac supply. If so it is not appropriate for this application. You'll need a simpler thermostat like a LUX TX100 or TX500 designed for millivolt operation.

this is what it should be.

screen 1 number 2
screen 5 number 12
screen 14 number 0
screen 27 number 90

Try that and let me know

Last edited:
I'll double check mine to make sure. I'll let you know in a few minutes.

should be heat only. Furnace 90

is that what you did?
I chose Heat Only (which was #2)

Then by your comment "Furnace 90" are you referring to efficiency? There were these two options:
  • 5 Gas or oil furnaces of less than 90% efficiency (NOTE: Less than 90)
  • 3 Hot water systems or furnaces of 90%+ efficiency (NOTE: 90 or greater)
I entered 3 for 90 or greater.

1 - 1
3-0
5-12
9-3
12-0
14-0
15-5
27-80
28-65

These are my numbers. I have the same thermostat, but I am also running my central air on it. So your first screen should be number 3

Screen 5 means how many cycles an hour. I have mine maxed out so it so it will run as much as needed. You have yours set to 3 so it will only turn on 3 times an hour or every 20 minutes.

Your should look like this.

screen 1 number 2
screen 5 number 12
screen 14 number 0
screen 27 number 90 or what every max temp you want.

I seen your other thread about having issues. If you still have issues try these settings.

1-3
3-0
5-12
14-0
27-90

The thermostat may require a 24vac supply. If so it is not appropriate for this application. You'll need a simpler thermostat like a LUX TX100 or TX500 designed for millivolt operation.

I wish I knew how to tell the requirement...or what a millivolt was and so forth. Kind of need to know if truly what I have is wrong, and if so, what I need to go get.

I wish I knew how to tell the requirement...or what a millivolt was and so forth. Kind of need to know if truly what I have is wrong, and if so, what I need to go get.
That thermostat is a millivolt and not 24vac. It is the right one.

Reactions: LunaRaevn
I want to mention something about that setting number 5 as I said I have mine set to 12 so mine can if needed cycle on 12 times an hour or every 5 minutes which of course doesn't, but it keeps the temp in the house more close to thermostat set point. When being set low say to 3 your house temps could drop considerably before it fires the appliance back up.

Any luck with those settings?
No. :(
The fan is still shutting off intermittently when on thermostat. I switched back to manual again, and the intermittent problem does not present. Dad brought home another thermostat yesterday. I will see if it is a compatible one. I just can't figure out why the one they (the heating company that sold us the stove) installed when they put the stove in doesn't work...

The fan is still shutting off intermittently when on thermostat. I switched back to manual again, and the intermittent problem does not present. Dad brought home another thermostat yesterday. I will see if it is a compatible one. I just can't figure out why the one they (the heating company that sold us the stove) installed when they put the stove in doesn't work...
Honeywell thermostats are pellet stove compatible. What is the exact problem that you are having?

Maybe a thermostat issue. They sell a cheap one at Walmart for around $20 maybe you should try it. You could always return it if it does not work.

This is the cheap one they have at Walmart.

The Honeywell Horizontal Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat provides simple control over your heating and cooling system. Simply set your preferred temperature on an easily accessible and user friendly interface. Advanced temperature monitoring minimizes temperature swings and ensures absolute comfort. In the event of a power outage, the RTH111B will also remember your previous temperature settings. This thermostat features a broad compatibility range that covers: single-stage heating/cooling systems, heating, cooling, heat pumps without backup heat, mill volt, pellet stoves and fireplaces. This thermostat WILL NOT work with electric baseboard heat (120-240 V), heat pump systems with backup heat and multi-stage heating/cooling.

Maybe a thermostat issue. They sell a cheap one at Walmart for around $20 maybe you should try it. You could always return it if it does not work.

This is the cheap one they have at Walmart.

The Honeywell Horizontal Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat provides simple control over your heating and cooling system. Simply set your preferred temperature on an easily accessible and user friendly interface. Advanced temperature monitoring minimizes temperature swings and ensures absolute comfort. In the event of a power outage, the RTH111B will also remember your previous temperature settings. This thermostat features a broad compatibility range that covers: single-stage heating/cooling systems, heating, cooling, heat pumps without backup heat, mill volt, pellet stoves and fireplaces. This thermostat WILL NOT work with electric baseboard heat (120-240 V), heat pump systems with backup heat and multi-stage heating/cooling.

The one dad picked up is a Honeywell RTH221B. Looking at the package I don't see pellet stoves listed. It lists: Compatible with heating, cooling, heat pumps w/o auxiliary. Does not work with electric baseboard heat (120-240 V), heat pump systems with backup heat and multi-stage heating/cooling.

It sounds same as one you refer to, but it does not list pellet stoves. Do I bother with it?

The one dad picked up is a Honeywell RTH221B. Looking at the package I don't see pellet stoves listed. It lists: Compatible with heating, cooling, heat pumps w/o auxiliary. Does not work with electric baseboard heat (120-240 V), heat pump systems with backup heat and multi-stage heating/cooling.

It sounds same as one you refer to, but it does not list pellet stoves. Do I bother with it?
It's actually the same thermostat. Your model # is just programmable. I think it should work the same. Let me know.

You've probably already tried this but just to verify. If you short the two thermostat wires together does the stove come on? If yes it may just be a bad stat.

Kind of bummed about this stove issue. The same intermittent issue with fan during heating and low-heat modes is still happening even with new stat. Doesn't happen at all when I have the stove on manual.

We did get a power surge protector with stabilizer. But honestly, I don't see how that will fix this issue.

Is the stove running on longer cycles when off the thermostat? Instead of running on manual did you try just shorting the two thermostat leads and see how it works. It could be that this is the fan cut-in snap switch and unrelated to the thermostat. I had two of those fail over the time of ownership of our pellet stove.

Is the stove running on longer cycles when off the thermostat? Instead of running on manual did you try just shorting the two thermostat leads and see how it works. It could be that this is the fan cut-in snap switch and unrelated to the thermostat. I had two of those fail over the time of ownership of our pellet stove.

When off the stat, stove will run until I go shut it off. So, length of run depends on my comfort- couple hours in morning and again for a couple more hours in evening- until weather changes and I'll be running it for much longer periods. In manual, when I shut it off, there is no low-heat phase, so it just goes straight to cool down. In cool down cv fan runs for only a few min then shuts off. CB fan runs until everything in pot has burned out. And I believe that is how it should run.

Not sure what you mean by shorting the two leads, and seeing how it works? Sorry. Might have to explain or supply link to help understand how to do that.

I haven't heard of a cut-in snap switch. Can't find the term in the manual either. I'm finding proof-of-fire snap switch in the manual. Also cv snap switch. Either one of those two could be culprits. On occasion board has read "No Fire Error" which manual directs to proof of fire snap switch issue. However, I have never gotten an "Overheat Error" message which manual says indicates blower snap switch issue.

It's confusing to me why the problem is intermittent, and happening only when operating on a thermostat.

When off the stat, stove will run until I go shut it off. So, length of run depends on my comfort- couple hours in morning and again for a couple more hours in evening- until weather changes and I'll be running it for much longer periods. In manual, when I shut it off, there is no low-heat phase, so it just goes straight to cool down. In cool down cv fan runs for only a few min then shuts off. CB fan runs until everything in pot has burned out. And I believe that is how it should run.

Not sure what you mean by shorting the two leads, and seeing how it works? Sorry. Might have to explain or supply link to help understand how to do that.

I haven't heard of a cut-in snap switch. Can't find the term in the manual either. I'm finding proof-of-fire snap switch in the manual. Also cv snap switch. Either one of those two could be culprits. On occasion board has read "No Fire Error" which manual directs to proof of fire snap switch issue. However, I have never gotten an "Overheat Error" message which manual says indicates blower snap switch issue.

It's confusing to me why the problem is intermittent, and happening only when operating on a thermostat.
unhook the wires from the thermostat and touch the red and white wires together. This will short it, making it think it is calling for heat. Hold them together. Make sure it is not on manual mode and see how it runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.