Thermostat ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
I have a Englander 10-cpm, and would like to add a thermostat to help avoid wasting pellets and keeping the room a constant temp. I found out how sensitive my house was to solar gain last year, and would occasionally come home to a 80 degree house, and would like to avoid that this year.

1. Any specific thermostats? I'm thinking a programmable with a 5/2 set up. Any favorites?

2. Suggestions on where to mount it? I have a 2400 sq ft colonial, and the stove in on the first floor in the back half of the house. The back half is one large room (50x13 ish) and blows air directly down the hallway into the 2 story foyer, where it can rise upstairs. I think the thermostat needs to be in the same room, but away from the stove, and not on an outside wall, right?

3. Anything else I need to consider? I know for shoulder season I can set the stove to on/off, and then convert it to high/low when it gets cold.

I have a Lux unit connected to my 10-cpm, and it works very well. Has adjustable swing settings too. If I was buying one today, I'd be looking at this one....can be had for about $40.

www.luxproducts.com/thermostats/tx9100e.php

As for location, you are correct about the stat needing to be away from the stove. Minimum of 15' away, and make sure the air from the stove isn't blowing toward the stat.

I use On-Off in the shoulder seasons until it gets down into the mid 40's, and Hi-Lo during the colder months.

I have this wireless unit right here: http://www.skytechsystem.com/thermo.asp?pi=328

Quad dealer included it with the stove, works great. You set the temperature you want, it kicks on when the room is 2 degrees below that, and shuts down when it is 2 degrees above. I have it hung on a wall about 20' from the stove and the partner unit is mounted on the back of the stove. Both units require batteries, 2 in the wall unit and 4 on the back of the stove. The nice thing about the wireless is you can try it in different locations before you hang it. I found that mine would not work around a corner from the stove. The only thing I don't like is when a battery goes bad, you have to test them all, which is a minor pain.

wireless. I like it. Just wish it wasn't $165 on Amazon. Beats running wire though, especially if I run the wire to the wrong spot the first time:)

The link you provided is to a wired model.

Typical wireless Skytech models that work w/ pellet stoves are typically around $100. Most people get the 3301P

That model comes in both wired and wireless. My dealer recommended not getting the handheld remote-type of t-stats. Apparently you can sometimes get a false temperature reading when you hold it in your hand to adjust the settings, and unintentionally shut down the stove or something. Anyway, as often as I lose my TV remote, I figured it is hard to lose one that's screwed to the wall.

wireless. I like it. Just wish it wasn't $165 on Amazon. Beats running wire though, especially if I run the wire to the wrong spot the first time:)

Like I said, the best part about a wireless is that you can try it around the room before you mount it. I have my stove just opposite my TV, so I wanted to make sure the stat was in a spot where the stove wouldn't blow me off the couch before it reached temperature.

I've got a Lux TX500E hooked up to my stove. It is a wired 5/2 programmable ( 4 periods per day) with swing settings t-stat. Works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.