Thermostatic stoves like Blaze King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Will be building a new house hopefully in the next year, and trying to research the best of whats out there for new tech. I have a Jotul F50 and am very happy with it (11 years strong). I would like to get something with the features of the Blaze King products, but maybe in something other thank a basic black box. I think my wife wants some color this time around.

Anyone else there posses the regulating ability of burn temps like Blaze King, or they still the only ones? Thanks

VC stoves have always been thermostatic. There are also some high-end European stoves that have a thermostatic option too.

Reactions: Light in the Dark
Has their quality been improved? Never heard anything good about them. Dutchwest... well you knew what you were getting for the price. But Ive always heard about issues with VC.

Has their quality been improved? Never heard anything good about them. Dutchwest... well you knew what you were getting for the price. But Ive always heard about issues with VC.
They finally have a good parent and financial backing and the quality has improved. They are a more complex and higher maintenance stove, but still one of America's best-looking traditional stoves.

Nothing that offers the wide burn/output range of a BK. Most bk models don’t win beauty contests but the performance can’t be beat. The Woodstock stoves come close but they’re pretty weird looking too.

You can paint a bk bright red if you want. People used to paint them brown.

450 pounder! On a more serious note, it is true that stoves can be painted to a desired color. StoveBright (which we do not use) offers plenty of color options. Dealers often will charge a fee to repaint them to a color a customer likes or the customer can do the job themselves.

BKVP

I like that construction too. Our T6 is going on season 15. All BK products are steel stoves. The Ashford has a cast-iron jacket like the Jotul F50.

450 pounder! On a more serious note, it is true that stoves can be painted to a desired color. StoveBright (which we do not use) offers plenty of color options. Dealers often will charge a fee to repaint them to a color a customer likes or the customer can do the job themselves.

BKVP

From a technical standpoint, would it be better to paint a stove before curing or would the factory applied finish need to be fired first, before putting something over it?

From a technical standpoint, would it be better to paint a stove before curing or would the factory applied finish need to be fired first, before putting something over it?
Good question. The paint on a cast iron jacketed stove doesn't see the high bake-in temps as it does on a pure cast iron or steel stove. Our stove's paint still looks very good after 14 yrs of service.

I know my Rangeley stunk the house up to high hell for 3-4 burns when we first put it in. I think the next stove will be cured outside with a few sections of piping in place.

I know my Rangeley stunk the house up to high hell for 3-4 burns when we first put it in. I think the next stove will be cured outside with a few sections of piping in place.
That was from the inner steel stove body paint. The outer jacket doesn't get that hot. Are you thinking of getting a new BK Ashford and repainting it?

I've repainted my by starting a fire. Then I let the surface cool down to 150 or so and paint it. It cures instantly. NOTE: I DO THIS OUTSIDE. So to answer your question, I burn it first.

Are there painted stoves other than black? I just haven't seen them. But for a kick ass color with a high gloss shine Look at victorious enamel finish. It was what sold my wife on a stove. But first settle on a quality built stove.

There used to be, but I suspect the demand is not high. PE offers porcelain enameled cabinets in a variety of colors. Woodstock offers their stoves in a variety of Stove Brite colors.

Are there painted stoves other than black? I just haven't seen them. But for a kick ass color with a high gloss shine Look at victorious enamel finish. It was what sold my wife on a stove. But first settle on a quality built stove.
We did offer Golden Fire Brown. It was popular at one time. Look at StoveBright colors on their website.

BKVP