Thermostats and the "buning pot"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LRRifleman

Jan 25, 2011
southern New Jersey
Hello!

I am noticing, particularly after adjusting the auger speed and the fire box air mixture, that I am getting a potentially undesired effect when I shut the stove down when the house gets too warm or the temeratures moderate. As the pellet stove "shuts down", the pellets do not completely burn and the residual pellets and ash "cakes up", hence cutting off airflow from the igniter. If this happens when I manually shut down the pellet stove, I am presuming this will happen when the thermostat contols the burning in the stove. As it stands now, I have to "clean out" the build up that accumulates in the fire box after ever 2 or 3 "shutdowns" or else the fuel "suffocates" and the stove becomes inoperable.

My question, how do I overcome this phenomena so I can bank on the pellet stove reigniting when the thermostat is connected and begins to control the heating of my house?

Thanks!

The regency should have a purge when it goes to shutdown(once stat is at temp). Purge is when the fans go to high speed, This should remove most of the ash in the burnpot. If you switch to manual mode and hit the off button you should hear the fans rev up. The fire should burn out and the spark show should begin.

Is the stove still under warranty?

When was the last time you cleaned the venting? Could it be a possible blockage in the pipe that is causing insufficient airflow?

I had this issue when my outside air draft was set too closed. Opened it up a bit and the problem went away.

Better quality pellets will burn better leaving less crunk in the pot as well.

Hello!

A collectve answer!

1) The pellet stove IS still under warranty, it was installed (purchased new) the week before Christmas.
2) Outside air venting is most likely a contributing factor, since he dealer did NOT install an OAK when the stove was installed ... it is sucking in warm air from in the house.
3) The venting hs not been cleaned, since there really is no in flow air venting installed. The exhaust venting has not yet been cleaned, I was of the impression I could go a full season before having to do that.

Make sure the ash pan gasket is sealing tightly and your minimum draft is in fact set properly. Also, make sure there is no debris or ash under the burn grate and a really simple one but often done....more than you think....make sure the burn pot is not in backwards. I only mention the last part because it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.