Things are getting to be "right" again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
It has been chilly the last couple nights here in the Lower Hudson Valley. We've had the Fireview going for the last couple days now. Only one bigger load for the overnight and a couple small ones during the day. Last night Mrs. Flatbedford, the dog and I sat on the couch in front of the fire with cocktails. It just felt like everything was the way it should be again. I only wish I didn't spend so much damn time at work and I could be there more.

Fbf, seems as though I'm having fires on a more regular basis the last few days. I like getting up in the morning and starting a fire. Very comforting.
Cup o' joe, start the fire, take out the pooches, yep, love it.

Most people think we are crazy, who the hell likes the weather this time of the year? The folks with woodstoves do...

My small night time or morning fires have been getting more common. I'm back to sitting in the lazy boy which is closest to the stove and my wife has taken her position of passing out on the couch. Yes, I'm getting back into the routine!

My wife just sent this picture to me. Now I really want to get home from work.

Attachments

• 2010-10-15_21-43-33_494 (799 x 599).jpg
    2010-10-15_21-43-33_494 (799 x 599).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 360
Enjoy that catalytic heat, wish I could burn but it's been to warm. Saving a lot of wood this month which is ok, I'll take the warm weather when I can get it.

I ain't lighting that sucker yet. Nope. Ain't doing it. Once it starts it isn't gonna stop till April.

Enjoy the heat and watching the fire. I'll catch up with ya shortly.

BrotherBart said:
I ain't lighting that sucker yet. Nope. Ain't doing it. Once it starts it isn't gonna stop till April.

Now that I've got a setup that will start w/ a top down fire, I've found it easier to do a small hot fire for this shoulder season every evening or every other. My old method of fire starting would need more wood for a clean burn and would cook us out of here.

Where I'm an I'm a few weeks ahead of you weather-wise. You'll be here shortly.

pen

pen said:
BrotherBart said:

Now that I've got a setup that will start w/ a top down fire, I've found it easier to do a small hot fire for this shoulder season every evening or every other. My old method of fire starting would need more wood for a clean burn and would cook us out of here.

pen

Yeah it is chilly here but a couple of bucks a day taking the chill off with a couple of space heaters is easier than cooking off wood that I will have to replace. In years past the stove would be burning morning and night fires by now. Seems the older ya get the more you think about the work dropping them, bucking them and hauling them up to split and stack. Heck, I can remember when it was actually fun.

Well, except for Backwoods Savage and I haven't gotten around to asking him who is dropping, bucking and hauling all of that wood. ;-) Before he splits it.

BrotherBart said:
to split and stack. Heck, I can remember when it was actually fun.

Well, except for Backwoods Savage and I haven't gotten around to asking him who is dropping, bucking and hauling all of that wood. ;-) Before he splits it.

The easiest explanation is that some people just aren't right :p Don't let reason or good sense get in the way of obsession! :coolsmirk:

pen

When people at work start complainin' 'bout the cold weather- i just smile. Cant get cold enuff fast enuff for me! :gulp: What the HELL is WRONG with me?!

pen said:
BrotherBart said:

pen

I just tried a topdown fire yesterday in my Jotul, now fully R&R'd, and I see what the hype is all about. Just had a supercedar on top of some kindling and I couldn't believe how I couldn't see a whiff of smoke from the chimney except some barely-visible black sooty smoke during the firestarting process. It all makes perfect sense too, the coals begin from the top where upward-moving smoke passing along those coals have a higher probability of igniting into flame.
Going to try this same routine on top of a load of wood bricks soon.

BrotherBart said:
pen said:
BrotherBart said:

Yeah it is chilly here but a couple of bucks a day taking the chill off with a couple of space heaters is easier than cooking off wood that I will have to replace. In years past the stove would be burning morning and night fires by now. Seems the older ya get the more you think about the work dropping them, bucking them and hauling them up to split and stack. Heck, I can remember when it was actually fun.

And what makes you think I do the splitting?! :roll:

wood-fan-atic said:
When people at work start complainin' 'bout the cold weather- i just smile. Cant get cold enuff fast enuff for me! :gulp: What the HELL is WRONG with me?!

I agree with you wood, we are nuts to enjoy this time of year over the warmer weather. I can't get enough of being outdoors...

Happiness is a warm woodstove on a chilly Fall evening.

Lit the stove up for the first time on Sunday. 'twas warm but had to cure the new stove pipe. We got the basement finished last winter so we could enjoy our basement stove. It's going to be a warm season. I may light a small fire tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.