Things have come a long way...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
This is what the basement looked like when I first moved in 4 years ago in my house. Yes I know, I know barrel stove bad. We were all stove illiterate at one point in our lives...
Wood Stove 1.JPG

So this is what I was working with last year. Still unfinished but hey in Central IL, winters usually aren't much to complain over. Then winter hit... (NC-30 sat at the red mark on the left wall)
Painted floor 1.JPG

And finally finished, my goal to insulate the exterior walls in the basement before this winter. The door on the right leads to the back bedroom where the nook was in the previous picture. My goal was to build the walls around the stove with non combustible materials to drastically reduce clearances since the 30 has quite large ones as stoves go. So for the stove surround, it goes tile, cement board, roxul insulation, metal studs.
New stove surround 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good!
Did you leave an air gap top & bottom & behind the tiled wall?
1" minimum required to meet code.

Status
Not open for further replies.