Think I am going to start playing in the Sand(y) pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Photos of the debris pile that is buiding daily won't do it justice. This pile of limbs and logs is pushing 300 ft long by 80 feet wide and is over 20 feet tall in places. I had seen it for weeks from the road and finally pulled in to give a look and walk around. Plenty of good firewood in the debris. Picks of 2 good logs that I think are Ash. Agree?

There is some huge White Oak too. Well over 36 inches. I have plans for that stuff too.

Attachments

• debrispile.jpg
    debrispile.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 146
  • log1.jpg
    log1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 149
  • log2.jpg
    log2.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 142
We have a pile like that here too. unbelievable. I've been picking some here and there but haven't found any ash and don't think you have ash there.

Just a comment about Sandy. It seems like about 90% of the downed trees and debris are oak and pine. Maybe the wind was too much for these specific root structures. This is in sharp contrast to last year's ice storm which yielded mostly silver maple, locust and pear. Very interesting how various trees are affected by the differing conditions.

My Sandy pile is mostly locust, maple & pine. Some oak.

Almost every oak I've seen down has carpenter ant damage. I was chipping away at some rounds last weekend, and the ants were falling out of the them as the wood was splitting.

My theory is that the weakest ones came down.

Looks like poplar, MWN. But I'm sure theirs some good stuff in that pile. Hey, that poplar burns good in the shoulder seasons, if you have a place to store it, why not? Or you could rip it into boards for projects, like I did last summer....

How's 'bout some pics when you get ripping in that pile......have fun and be careful for sprung limbs/branches and for pinch points...

Status
Not open for further replies.