Think I scored some Gum...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastdonzi

Feb 18, 2015
East TN
I don't have a pic, But it drops these little Jagged Balls, The wood is Nice White with a small Brown core in some places. The Leaf kinda looks like a Maple Leaf. Is this any good for Firewood?? it fell in the neighbors yard.. I took all that fell, Now he wants to cut down the rest... Any Count???

From your description it sounds like sweetgum. Have you tried splitting it yet ?
I've never had an easy time splitting sweetgum by hand. Always a chore, with lots of fibrous, twisty, bouncy wood. Just from the look the bark it would seem like it might split fairly easy like ash, but no. Kind of demoralizing. For an only average BTU rating and with all the other good wood out t here it's difficult to justify all the effort. I usually split a couple chunks each year to remind myself; otherwise, I pass on it. Sweetgum smells good (turpentine smell).

Since the wood is next door, and if you have access to a hydro splitter (still tough splitting), then it might be worth your effort.
Try splitting what you got before putting a claim or promise in on the remainder.

It's sweetgum. SEND IT BACK! Or don't take it. Seriously.

Do what cincyburner said. Take two decent sized rounds and go split them. Or shred them because that's what happens. It's terrible.

Tell him to cut them down because those spikey balls suck. Then leave it by the side of the road. It's quite possible the people who take it will bring it back and dump it. It's that bad.

I split one tree once. I won't take it even if it's free. No joke

Reactions: Soundchasm
Funny Thing... After posting I searched Sweetgum on here... Got sadder with every post :( then had to go swing the Heavier of the Fiskars at it... Lol... I'm 6' tall and 228lbs and can swing an Axe like a Lumber Jack... Picked a 10" round with no branches, straight as can be. Swung about 20 times Hah....Nothing, even started at the far edge and worked my way back... Nada..... Threw it back on the trailer... I do have a hyd splitter, I'll try that this weekend... :)

it was your posts I was reading :) Lol

Good luck with that. I dumped about 15, 10" rounds last year. That wood just isn't worth it

Check pictures of Liquidambar on line and I'll bet you recognize it.

Due lack of knowledge I planted 2 of those at my old property. Fortunately they grow very slowly there so the new owner should have no problem with them. They are only 8ft tall after a good couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.