Think this chimney cap mod will work ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superglyde

Sep 19, 2013
image.jpg I had a vacustack when I was burning wood to block wind and down drafts from the second story. I put in a 1 inch and 2 inch intake to get air to the oak in the chimney. To keep ash out, inside the vacustack I put in flashing and roxul insulation and sealed it up with the 4 in exhaust terminating inside the vacustack. I imagine I will have to clean out ash periodically inside the stack but at least it is not going back in the chimney and getting sucked in by the oak.
Anybody know just how much ash comes out of the exhaust in a season?

Last year, I burned about three tons of pellets and my ash vac picked up about 10 gallons of ash (about five pounds, best guess). That was on the MVAE.

How much ash out the exhaust? Not much, unless there's something very wrong. Next time there's snow on the ground, take a look.

View attachment 119724 I had a vacustack when I was burning wood to block wind and down drafts from the second story. I put in a 1 inch and 2 inch intake to get air to the oak in the chimney. To keep ash out, inside the vacustack I put in flashing and roxul insulation and sealed it up with the 4 in exhaust terminating inside the vacustack. I imagine I will have to clean out ash periodically inside the stack but at least it is not going back in the chimney and getting sucked in by the oak.
Anybody know just how much ash comes out of the exhaust in a season?
I don't quite understand your installation but, that looks like an awfully small pvc pipe for air intake. If it is more than three or four feet long it will probably restrict air flow too much. that double el at the end doesn't help air flow too much either. That should be done with sweep el's, the bigger the radius the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.