Think this will provide a cord or two?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
My buddy sent me this pic from trail clearing over the weekend. 48" diameter log.

Think this will provide a cord or two?

Wind and weather took it down. Happens every winter. Sadly the giant rounds are just rolled down the hill to get them off the trail. The only way to pack it out would be split and by mule.

North Cascades. Up near Rainy Pass on the PCT. It's still damp. There was snow on the ground at this location. (It's under the sawdust) Power tools will probably be prohibited later in July.

The 36" spruce behind this tree also had to be cleared. Those rounds were green and heavier than this old dead tree's.

brings a whole new meaning to bucking wedges, I'd hate to get my saw pinched in that

We always packed saws and used them to clear trails in the central cascades (just north of I90) too. That first trip to the backcountry involved lots of saw time. Just shove the huge rounds down hill out of the way.

The big green tree behind the old dead one required several wedges to avoid pinching. They worked.

I'll be heading up to this area in a bit over a month to complete the bridge building project that we started last year. Last year it was hand tools only and I suspect we'll be packing in the big 2 man saws again this summer. I'm happy to say that the temporary detour bridge we built upstream survived the winter in good condition.

Reactions: Highbeam