thinkin' bout getting a gas furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
The price of NG has been dropping in Pgh. For years I have resisted "going on the grid" but now it seems t o make sense to have an NG furnace as a backup and to take the chill off until the woodies kick in.

Anyone else heating their entire home without a NG furnace (or oil - or propane, etc.)?

Backup is a good idea. One never knows when one will be called away, or be sick.

Anyone else heating their entire home without a NG furnace (or oil - or propane, etc.)?

I have no central furnace at all, just some electric wall heaters scattered around that haven't seen use for years. We all need a backup source of heat for vacations, illness, emergency, etc.

I would love to have NG available for water heat and cooking. Then perhaps a backup freestanding gas stove. Those things make serious heat.

I use electric baseboard heaters in just 2 rooms in my 1800 square feet home so it is wood heat that does the real heating. The baseboard heaters don't keep up in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.