Thinking of a new stove, need opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabby

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
Ohio
How's it going all? I have a problem this year. I am thinking of buying new stove. Right now I have a Earth Stove 100 series and I love it to death. It has a few cracks on 2 cornsers were the door is and 2 on the back where the damper is. I can weld those up no problem and it heats my house pretty well. I have a 1896 sqft Split Foyer house with the stove in the center of the house located in the basement so the heat goes right up the steps. the basement is usually 90 to 95 and upstairs is around 70, the back bedrooms are kinda cool, but we like it that way, the boys rooms could be a little warmer but it works. we have electric heat and hardly use it. I have been thinking of buy and Englander/Summers Heat/Timberridge stove, just dont' know which one. Either the 13NC or 30NC. I would like a cleaner burn even though I clean once a month. My wood usually is still not all the way seasoned. I burn hot though and it stays pretty clean, just my cap gets it's build up. What do you guys think

Season your wood, and you won't have to clean once a month. I clean once a year, and I could probably skip a year if I wanted to. You'll use waaaay less wood. Any new stove is going to work better with dry wood anyway. I'm guessing the 30 is closer to your needs, but I'll let the englander guys handle that one.

Well, I should have said my wood it mostly seasoned. I do have a few rows that's not quite seasoned. I just usually run out of the dry stuff, i hardly have time to cut and split with work and work in my shop at home. I hate to do it this year but i might have to buy some. i have a about 2 cords of cherry and ash that's seasoned really well, and the rest has been down for about a year(cherry) and split last weekend. Some red oak fell down about 2 months ago and split it last week to. Anyway... I clean my chimney just for safe measures. I like to see how it's doing and go ahead and clean it. and my chimney allways looks great, just my damn cap always get build up on it. I hate it, I almost thought about taking it off when i am burning. But right now i need to figure if i want a new stove or not.

Cracks are nature's way of saying that the ole Earth Stove has served you well and now it is time for it to retire. There are a lot of good stoves out there that will get the job done.

Yeah, now I just need to figure out which one. Plus get the Tax rebate at the end of the year.

Between the 13 and the 30, you'll want the 30.

Get some seasoned wood, like yesterday. The stuff you just split probably wont be ready for this season... especially the oak.

yeah i think i would like the 30 better. i was thinking of that, but trying to save a dollar you know. are there any other stoves that you guys would recommend?

yeah i knew the oak wouldn't be ready, usually takes a year, it's on the back of the wood pile so. the cherry like i said been down for a year still got plenty of nice warm weather before we start burning, a lot of the cherry split seemed dry really light when i picked it up and didn't really feel that damp after we split it. but if not i got a good head start for next year. this year has been hectic with son this year, real busy. my cousin has some already split and seasoned, might work out a deal, i am suppose to paint his truck so we may work a deal out. ( i hate doing that)

I have thought about a Magic Heat, but i dont have the room to add it to the pipe

I saw the vogelzangs at northern tool, but read the reviews and nobody seems to like them. I would like to get the best bang for the buck. I really want a P.E Summit. Just dont want to pay 3500 bucks for it. Gettting into my new Harley fund.

It sounds like money is a big concern, There are stoves I like better than the 30, but the 30 is about the best bang for your $ that you're likely to find in a new stove. Especially if you can pick up a discounted unit at HD or Lowes, I've seen them around $700 to $800 at the end of the season when they want them gone. I don't know that you'll be able to work a deal like that at this point though, it's probably too late in the year, but it's worth a try.

You might want check your local CL for used or even new stoves, sometimes you can find some great deals there, but they'll go fast.

You don't want the 13, get a stove with at least a 3 cu ft box if you want to heat 1900 sq ft 24/7. Otherwise you'll kick yourself in the azz when you come home to a cold house or have to get up in the middle of the night to reload a smaller stove... its not worth saving $200!

Generally speaking, most recommend staying away from the Magic Heat. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul. The Vogelzangs and Duragos aren't all that highly regarded either.

well my boys room is above the garage. and we leave the door open. it's usually 65 maybe in there.

Check out the napoleon 1450 independent med. size stove for $1025. It has a 2.25 cu. ft. box rated up to 2000 sq ft

LADY POOK said:
Wet1 said:
Generally speaking, most recommend staying away from the Magic Heat. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul. The Vogelzangs and Duragos aren't all that highly regarded either.
he mentioned a persistently clean chimny except for cap= robbing paul to pay peter!
Lady Pook,

So why would he want to crud up a chimney with a MH that's otherwise currently staying clean? I wouldn't do it... but that's just me.

After the 30% tax credit a base model Summit would cost ya between twelve and thirteen hundred. That is a lot of stove and firepower for that amount of money.

Daryl said:
Check out the napoleon 1450 independent med. size stove for $1025. It has a 2.25 cu. ft. box rated up to 2000 sq ft
Too small (IMO) to easily heat a 1900 sq ft house 24/7, without having to feed the stove all day/night.

Yeah, i was looking at the summits, i might go for those i just don't know what to do. the stove i have now is big but old, i hardley get a 8 hour burn out of it, that's with big pieces stuffed full. so....

The newer EPA stoves will go significantly longer on the same load of (quality/dry) wood. You should have no problem getting an 8+ hour burn out of the 30 or Summit.

yeah I added a flu pipe damper since it seemed like all the heat goes out the chimney(no baffle) it made a world of difference.

i agree, seems like if it warmer out too, is when the cap builds up too

you know, i am thinking, i better not get the PE Summit, might be over kill. Basement would be to hot.

You can always build a small fire in a big stove, but you cant build a big fire in a small stove. ;)

well i have a friend who is a manager at Lowes. I will ask him when they get the Englanders in. I might be able to get the discounted price. I have herd a lot of good things about englanders, really no compliants.

LADYGO DIVA said:
Wet1 said:
LADY POOK said:
Wet1 said:
he mentioned a persistently clean chimny except for cap= robbing paul to pay peter!
Lady Pook,

So why would he want to crud up a chimney with a MH that's otherwise currently staying clean? I wouldn't do it... but that's just me.
particulate matter aint dirying the chimny as is from smokedragon so i figure theres a lot of heat driving it out=excessive heatloss from chimny. if the chimny got dirty, the pm would be brushed down into stove,ideally, & reburned resulting in less pollution & more heat in house. guy likes to clean the chimny anyway.
it may be that old stove cracks are allowing proper secondary air for a clean burn. makes sense if stove cracked at hotspots where incoming air would be most heated so to simulate 2ndary tubes in EPA stove
& i forgot to ax if the old stove had a fluepipipe damper on it.

cripes, with the magic heat! It might make sense on the old stove, before it cracked. When he gets the new one, he won't need it. I bet the cap stays squeaky clean, too.

Any epa stove will burn longer on the same wood. As was mentioned, a bigger stove only overheats you if you build too big a fire, but can run all night if you need it to. My stove's minimum sq ft rating is about the size of my house, maximum is about 800 bigger, but I've never had a problem. Smaller fires. I was glad it was big this winter when we had extended record cold and lost power.

Thanks for all your help!!!. I still am undecided on a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.