Thinking of buying 1st woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montgomery Burns

Sep 10, 2014
Ontario
I don't know anything about wood stoves and I am not really a handyman, but might be able to learn. My house has an alcove with a chimney for a wood stove. Today we saw a Quadrafire Isle Royale and my wife wants to buy it and install it. It is a showroom model and therefore used, so there was a price incentive. I came by this forum because searches indicated that some people had a problem with it over burning. That it can do that worries me. So now I am challenged to prepare the alcove to receive the stove, and I found I could cheat on the floor tiling with hearth pads. How do experts feel about hearth pads? The floor is completely unfinished aspenite.
Does there have to be tiling on the wall to protect the drywall from heat?

If proper clearances are given, nothing is needed on the wall. Hearth pads are great. They are are a quick way to go that looks great!

I too am in the market for a new wood stove. I have lots of experience with the old-time stoves but not so much with these new models.
This is a great forum! I have learned on here that the Isle Royale is a very good stove. I was down at the wood stove store in Asheville and spent a while looking at the Isle Royale, it looks like a real good stove to me. Good looking, big fire box. Good luck with your new adventure.

I too am in the market for a new wood stove. I have lots of experience with the old-time stoves but not so much with these new models.
This is a great forum! I have learned on here that the Isle Royale is a very good stove. I was down at the wood stove store in Asheville and spent a while looking at the Isle Royale, it looks like a real good stove to me. Good looking, big fire box. Good luck with your new adventure.
Stick with your original plan of getting a Jotul! You can't go wrong. Love the name by the way! I'm a big fan of Kenton.

Well, I am going to get the Jotul Oslo, but the Isle Royale is second on my list.
I read The Frontiersmen many years ago and was very impressed. All the western movies are about cowboys and cavalry fighting the Sioux, but, there was plenty of fighting between the White Boys and the Indians in Ohio. My God, the vicious warfare that Simon Kenton was involved in.
The Shawnee loved to capture a white boy alive, they had developed a fine art of roasting captives alive at the stake. Took many hours. The Shawnee got a kick out of it and the women were especially adept at torturing. If the captive at the stake cried out, they figured he was a wimp.

Take your time, do your research so that you will be happier with your decision. Got wood?.......

Reactions: R'Lee
personally i think the Quadra-Fire Isle Royale Wood Stove is by far the sexiest stove on the market. I just love that burnt ceramic finish on them. That'd be my dream stove.

Reactions: JA600L
My Quad dealer told me that there is a lot of good changes coming to the Isle Royale. Maybe that is why they are selling it cheap.

Love the name by the way! I'm a big fan of Kenton.
But you gotta admit, Montgomery Burns is a good wood forum name. >>
I don't know anything about wood stoves
Got wood?.......
The first thing you need to know about wood stoves is that they need dry wood for the most trouble-free, predictable operation and the best heat output. What kind of wood will you be burning, and how long has it been split and stacked? The consensus is that the IR like to run warm, but if the stove is the right size for the space that shouldn't be a problem.
My Quad dealer told me that there is a lot of good changes coming to the Isle Royale. Maybe that is why they are selling it cheap.
Any details to share?

Thanks for all the info. I have lots of wood. If I need more I will cut down a tree. I have lots of those and will not miss a few. The wood stove is to be an adjunct to a propane central heating system. I have to get this rather large room into more acceptable shape, with a stove installed by this coming winter. Yes, Woody Stover, I like my puns, double meanings and word jokes. I am glad you got it. I was thinking about tiles around the back of the stove for appearance and safety. I think there is enough room in the alcove for clearance, but I want to be super safe, and make it look nice. I doubt that tiling the wall will be possible after the stove is installed, so I should think about it now. I will start to clear it out today and get it accurately measured. What do you do about combustion air? I do not want to burn house air so I will have to get a hole cut in the outside wall for an air intake. I have to get this done at minimum expenditure, which means I have to learn to do some of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.