Thinking of using an wood insert to heat house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarity

Sep 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
We have a crappy fireplace right now and I am thinking of putting a wood burning insert into it. I have read that these can generate a lot of heat. We have a forced air system that uses a heat pump plus heat strips in the winter to supply heat. We live in Upstate NY, but get very cheap power. The problem we run into is when it gets to cold for the heat pump to operate as there is very little warm air left in the outside air, the HVAC system switches to AUX heat, which uses a LOT more energy. Our 1979 house is well insulated with R-13 bats in the outside walls and we had even more insulation added in the attic a few years ago.

I would like to solve two problems:

1) Reduce the cost of the heating bill when we have those sub zero temps.
2) Use this as a backup source of heat if we lose power. We haven't had a power outage yet, in the 6-7 years we have lived here, though it would be scary to have an outage during a winter storm.

The fire place is in one corner of the house and the thermostat is almost on the other side of the house. We live in a 2 story colonial @ 1600ft w/ a basement that is 30% finished. I am wondering how well this will help. Will it gives us an 85* temps on the main floor and 55* upstairs? I am looking at using this for a main source of heating during the coldest winter months so we want something functional, though at the same time we do like the look of a fire.

Lastly any thoughts about buying a used insert off craigslist? Should I get a new liner, instead of reusing one that people are selling w/ the fireplace?

Thanks an advance!

I would plan on getting a new insert with a full stainless steel liner unless you luck out and find a good EPA insert locally that will fit.

What are the fireplace dimensions front and back and what is the depth, top and bottom? How large are the openings to other parts of the house from the fireplace room?

Yes that is the same fireplace. We have a pretty open first floor with half of it where the fire place is and the other half where the thermostat is. We have 2x 32" openings that go to the other side in two parts. My return is slightly obscured by furniture :(

Have you met with and spoken to local insert and stove dealers about this installation to get a feasibility appraisal and quote?

My advise is MAKE SURE YOU GET a unit with the biggest firebox possible !!
Yes for sure.....I went smaller because I wanted a flush mount look, probably a slight mistake, oh well....BK Princess in a few years....

Also the flush mount I bought would be pretty much worthless if the power went out (blowers off) - so if power outages is one of your concerns do not get a flush mount insert.

I will look for a bigger one, thinking of getting one used of Craigslist as I see a few that don't look bad available. I am guessing I could get someone to install the liner. I was intially wanting a more flush mount though I guess going bigger makes sense if I want to heat when the power goes out. I haven't gotten anyone to take a look at putting in our L-shaped fireplace.

I do see the following for sale:
http://rochester.craigslist.org/hsh/5443221527.html
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/for/5398153482.html

Craigslist can be great if the right stove at the right price shows up. I picked up a Hampton HI300 for $700. I had to travel 300 miles for it. But the stove had little rust on the air jacket. Sanding and high temp paint and it looks mint. Look outside of your local area, don't be afraid to make a small trip. Lots of times new home owners buy houses with inserts already installed and since they know nothing about them will practically give them away. All you have to do is the grunt work. Disassemble outer casing and carry the pig to your truck

I missed out on a 3yr old Fireview in primo condition for $1000 a few years back. We didn't need it but it was worth saving until fall for resale.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I missed on princess insert because my wife said we didn't need it...

What should I look at if I am buying a used insert of CLIST? How easy is it to install the cap and liner? I have done DIY work before. I redid my kitchen, complete tear out of two bathrooms and a basement. I am guessing I would have to get a surround for the insert fabricated? Also do you remove the old damper and put something there to seal around the liner so air doesn't escape?

What should I look at if I am buying a used insert of CLIST? How easy is it to install the cap and liner? I have done DIY work before. I redid my kitchen, complete tear out of two bathrooms and a basement. I am guessing I would have to get a surround for the insert fabricated? Also do you remove the old damper and put something there to seal around the liner so air doesn't escape?
Look inside for any signs of warping or cracking the quads as well as many other tube stoves have had issues with the manifolds cracking. Quad does make repair kits for theirs though. As far as how hard the install will be they vary greatly from ones that take 2 hours to ones that take multiple days. Without seeing your setup it is hard to say. But make sure you insulate the liner regardless. And put in a block off plate.

Not an expert and just started posting here but one thing to mention as I did the same thing you are doing in my old house. Wood stoves can be really heavy and if you are not slab on grade make sure the structure beneath can handle the added weight.

Oh well in that case i have made my opinion on an insert in that fireplace known so i will bow out of the discussion.

Not an expert and just started posting here but one thing to mention as I did the same thing you are doing in my old house. Wood stoves can be really heavy and if you are not slab on grade make sure the structure beneath can handle the added weight.

It is a corner fire place so I am thinking that a good portion rests on the foundation wall and/or the joists under it. This is one thing I didn't consider.

It is a corner fire place so I am thinking that a good portion rests on the foundation wall and/or the joists under it. This is one thing I didn't consider.
That is one of the reasons i dont like to see inserts in a zeroclearance fireplace. Their floors only need to support 100 lbs per sq-ft.

So do the floors need to be reinforced for such an install or are my floor joists going to suffice?
The floor joists should be fine what concerns me is the structure of the fireplace

Would placing a regular free standing stove in the Fire place be better?
In the fireplace no if you insist on putting anything in there an insert will spread the weight out over more area than a freestander. A freestander in front on the fireplace would be my recommendation in this situation

Status
Not open for further replies.