Thinking Wood Gun...any advice or experience?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike, you def want a switch on the timer. Once the heart of the heating season arrives you will have no use for the timer until the spring shoulder season.

I don't think the timer rotating around will really hurt anything. It draws its power AFTER the high limit aquastat, so if the boiler is too hot, it won't do anything. It does use ~2W electricity to run though.

ac

My timer was installed by AHS, must be wired differently as mine will fire on each clip regardless of the temp.

My timer was installed by AHS, must be wired differently as mine will fire on each clip regardless of the temp.

That is interesting. I poured through the wiring diagrams in the back of the manual when I wired mine in. All tapped Red, White, Blue. Blue is the switched side of the fan/damper. White is neutral. Red is the line side of the fan/damper. Red gets power through the high temp aquastat. Power is black and travels to the main switch where it is then orange, off to the high temp aquastat to come back as red.

Yours must be wired to black? Any chance you could open up your timer and control box and take a look?

What options/features does your WG have?

ac

That is interesting. I poured through the wiring diagrams in the back of the manual when I wired mine in. All tapped Red, White, Blue. Blue is the switched side of the fan/damper. White is neutral. Red is the line side of the fan/damper. Red gets power through the high temp aquastat. Power is black and travels to the main switch where it is then orange, off to the high temp aquastat to come back as red.

Yours must be wired to black? Any chance you could open up your timer and control box and take a look?

What options/features does your WG have?

ac

Sure, I'll take a look. The timer, dhw coil and oil burner were the "extras" I got with the boiler from AHS. I was not aware of the low temp aquastat at that time and when I decide to add more ball valves into the system I think I will install one. This spring I installed the smoke hood and am glad that I did. I also bought a set of spare nozzle pieces but have yet to need them but I feel it will be before next heating season. I'm hoping the person that made a nozzle from steel has good results and a better longevity as the AHS parts are not exaclty inexpensive but it appears they will last more than the 15 cords the manual says.

Sure, I'll take a look. The timer, dhw coil and oil burner were the "extras" I got with the boiler from AHS. I was not aware of the low temp aquastat at that time and when I decide to add more ball valves into the system I think I will install one. This spring I installed the smoke hood and am glad that I did. I also bought a set of spare nozzle pieces but have yet to need them but I feel it will be before next heating season. I'm hoping the person that made a nozzle from steel has good results and a better longevity as the AHS parts are not exaclty inexpensive but it appears they will last more than the 15 cords the manual says.

I'm curious how your wiring is done. Are you SURE your cycle time works no matter what temp? I checked every schematic in the manual, all show Red as the power supply to the timer and that is only hot when the high temp aquastat is under its set point.

ac

ac, I guess I'm not 100% sure...but there's one way to find out. I'll do some investigating by the weekend if I can ever get caught up with my to do list!

I've been too busy diagnosing my cycle timer to watch you 2 quibble like little school girls.
;lol

AC. That's your alarm clock you keep messing with. Put your dam glasses on!

images

I don't think that is a Wood Gun you bought there bud. Nice boiler though. Darren didn't know the difference did he? ;lol

This thread needs to die.

I keep checking back to see what I missed. But I think it jumped the shark a while ago!

Gasifier. Where do you come up with stuff. You are hysterical.
We need to hang out and tip a few back. Soda of course since we are little school girls.

LOL

I did some diagnosing on the cycle timer. I think I got a bad timer from Intermatic. The timer dial definitely rotates backwards. It simply won't work like this. Since it is an AC motor, reversing the leads doesn't fix the problem. It must have been assembled wrong from the factory (Mexico).

I swapped the timer for another...so far so good. This one is spinning in the correct direction and operating properly.

I like soda!

ac

Mike don't be such a hater. :).
This thread has become a pm between WG owners that is just open for the forum to view. :)

Of course you're welcome join in on the semantics.

AC. Sorry to hear about the faulty timer but glad to hear you hot it taken care of.
I hope mine spins correctly. I will wire it in this weekend.

Does this help?
I tied the smoke hood wiring through the box and removed the extension cord and switch that was mounted on the hood.
The last pic just shows all the other wiring in the back ground that are for all the other controls.
59855898.jpg

78695485.jpg

41150948.jpg

It does.

White: Clock
Red: Switch/Common
Blue: Normally Open

Looks like you have some other non-factory wiring there. What else you got going on there?

It looks like you have added a low water temp cutoff w/ bypass switch. Is the other switch your exhaust hood?

What is the switch in the back of the boiler? Does the random box with the RIB control your circulator from a thermostat signal?

ac

There is a bunch of wiring. I did not not do the main wiring, only the smoke hood.
I have a low water volume shut off and a low water temp shut off.
I need to flip the switch up on the left of the two switches in order to restart the unit after it shut down because it didn't relight and the water temp dropped below the low limit setting.
The switch in the far back is a main power kill switch.
The random box with the RIB controls the my oil burner. If the water temp drops below the low temp setting the RIB relay switches power to the oil burner. I have the same RIB relay in the basement next to the oil burner.
I also have a controller that has a temp probe attached to the supply line and if the temp reaches a very low temp ( I don't know what that is but its probably around 40*) it will kick on the oil burner and circulate water through the WG to prevent freezing .

Mike,

Sounds like a nice set of controls. I have the same setup for the low water temp. I labeled the switch positions "start" and "run".

I really like that 40F fail safe considering the WG is in your garage. Excellent idea!

ac

OK, above statement is wrong. I adjusted the high temp setting to below what the boiler was at and turned the timer....nothing happened. I guess I thought it was running at any temp due to previously having hit the high temp. But, I have included a few pics for those that may be curious on the wiring, etc. of a WG with the oil burner add on.

Attachments

• Control Panel.JPG
    Control Panel.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Cycle Timer.JPG
    Cycle Timer.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Control Wiring.JPG
    Control Wiring.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 204
OK, above statement is wrong. I adjusted the high temp setting to below what the boiler was at and turned the timer....nothing happened. I guess I thought it was running at any temp due to previously having hit the high temp. But, I have included a few pics for those that may be curious on the wiring, etc. of a WG with the oil burner add on.

I figured. It would be very dangerous of them to wire it any other way.

I see you have the auto oil backup. Do you LIKE it?

I can't help but notice the boiler firmly in the "WOOD" setting with a note to remove the plug before switching.

I opted for the manual oil backup, figuring I would prefer to decide entirely which fuel to be burning and it saved me ~$1500 over the auto setup.

ac

We went with the oil add on due to the old oil burner I replaced was at the end of it's life, so I figure if I need an oil back up may as well get the add on to save some space in our basement. It works fine for it's purpose, which is to keep the house heated on any extended trips we make, but the 1st thing I will do when we get home is switch back to wood. The auto features works well and has a lock out so that you must manually shut down the boiler and then turn switch back to wood only in order to take out of oil mode.

The Mrs. wrote the warning about the plug just to remind her, would not like to see the consequences of not removing it when going oil! It MUST be removed for either the oil or auto option.

We went with the oil add on due to the old oil burner I replaced was at the end of it's life, so I figure if I need an oil back up may as well get the add on to save some space in our basement. It works fine for it's purpose, which is to keep the house heated on any extended trips we make, but the 1st thing I will do when we get home is switch back to wood. The auto features works well and has a lock out so that you must manually shut down the boiler and then turn switch back to wood only in order to take out of oil mode.

The Mrs. wrote the warning about the plug just to remind her, would not like to see the consequences of not removing it when going oil! It MUST be removed for either the oil or auto option.

Yeah, that is the exact reason I wanted an oil option also. I went "manual" since I didn't see us using the "auto" setting. I still haven't completed the oil portion of the install (installing the burner, running the lines, tuning) so I have no clue how this thing will work burning oil.

DEFINITELY get that plug out before using oil. I plan on making a label for the control panel similar to yours.

ac

Hey guys. New to the forum. Been reading up and stalking for a while. Just got done this weekend installing the E140. Was a little sketchy getting it installed. It's been sitting in my garage since August. Lower into the basement bilco doors two weeks ago. Hooked it up yesterday and today. Had a few bad solder joints getting the baseboards hooked up. Did a test fire last night. Bringing it up to temperature now. Don't think I am gasifying yet as there is still smoke at the stack tip. Shout out to Infinitymike. Got a kick out of your videos and your wood pile.

Hey CTFIRE. Congratulations.
I love it, more WoodGunners.
We're getting stronger.

Thanks for the shout out:)

I assume your in Connecticut? My sister lives in Branford.

So we need details.
1. Are you new to wood burning
2. Do you have a good supply of dry wood
3. Did you do the install.
4. What kind of goodies did you get with WG
IE: smoke hood, low temp shut off, cycle timer, etc
5. And most importantly.
PICS, PICS, and LOTS OF PICS.

Hey guys. New to the forum. Been reading up and stalking for a while. Just got done this weekend installing the E140. Was a little sketchy getting it installed. It's been sitting in my garage since August. Lower into the basement bilco doors two weeks ago. Hooked it up yesterday and today. Had a few bad solder joints getting the baseboards hooked up. Did a test fire last night. Bringing it up to temperature now. Don't think I am gasifying yet as there is still smoke at the stack tip. Shout out to Infinitymike. Got a kick out of your videos and your wood pile.

CTFIRE. Congrats on the Wood Gun!!!!!!! Rule #1 on Hearth.com. PICS or it didn't happen. You may want to start a thread of your installation. Let's see it. Pics are easy to load. We love PICS and stories about installs. I even started a thread about our systems. Take a click on this when you have time and check some of them out!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/a-few-pictures-of-our-boiler-systems.75006/

Then add some pics of yours to it if you like. Good luck on the burning, and if you have questions, ask them. Just be careful of those guys from Long Island. ;)

Yeah you know those guys from Long Island, they're scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.