1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

This fiskars axe is amazing!

Post in 'The Gear' started by webby3650, Jul 21, 2013.

1. tahoostas

tahoostas Member

Loc:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Love mine too. Have the hatchet as well. Mind you i split mainly aspen! Like a hot knife through butter. Had to split some birch about 10" diameter that was so green it squirted water when the axe went in. Holy smokes.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. basswidow

basswidow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Milton GA
    I bought the Fiskars sharpener - which I got with the thought that I would take good care of my axes. The sharpener is a joke. Probably 20-30 cords later, the axe is still throwing splits. It doesn't look as sharp and has a few dings and pits, but it still works well. It will outlast me.
  3. MattW

MattW New Member

Loc:
    Fort Langley, BC
    I love my X27, my wife got it for me last Christmas and I promptly split 12 cords with it. My old Dad was pretty envious when I was helping him with his firewood, I was splitting rounds with one blow that were stonewalling his old maul. We first got on to the Fiskars when I bought my brother a hatchet for his canoe trips, he brought it out one day when we were splitting 24in alder rounds. We were all laughing asking him what he thought he was going to do with that and he said "just watch this" and took and split a bunch like nothing. My brother uses the Fiskars sharpener but I just use a flat file to keep an edge on mine.
  4. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wasatch Front: 7800'
    I have an X27 and love it as well, works great for rounds up to about 14 or 16 inches, then I switch to the 8 pound maul to break up the big pieces. The Fiskars just doesn't seem to have the mass and the broadness to get a split started in big rounds. I had a few over the weekend that I put over 200 swings into with the Fiskars with no discernible splitting. Another 10 or 12 strikes with the maul and I had them cracked open.

It's all about the right tool for the job.
    Ash_403 likes this.
  5. Coal Reaper

Coal Reaper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    Work the edges. I bust 36" rounds 20" long with mine. Knots is what will stop it dead.
    Macpolski likes this.
  6. Insomnivore

Insomnivore New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Spent about 6 hours today splitting Beech and Birch with my X27. I feel bad when I grab the X27 over my old reliable big, honking maul but after many, many swings I know it's the right choice. I'm not sore and am looking forward to spending the better part of tomorrow splitting a 65' cherry I dropped today. Old maul would have me rethinking this.
    Coal Reaper likes this.
  7. lml999

lml999 Member

Loc:
    Metrowest Boston
    Thanks! Sounds like the X25 is the right option for me!
  8. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    5'10 and 210 pounds here, the x27 feels just perfect for me. I picked up an x25 in the store and it felt ackward.
  9. rowerwet

rowerwet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    when you hold the axe in the store, swing the axe slowly with your arms extended, track the head downward all the way, if the axe touches your shins, imagine what a glancing blow that also misses the chopping block would look like.
    I'm 5' 10" and the X27 was the only model that puts the axe head into the ground, not my shins.
    Insomnivore and ColdNH like this.
  10. Coal Reaper

Loc:
    NJ
    That.

Attached Files:

11. Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar

Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar Member

Loc:
    Rural St. Elmo, IL
    I have first hand experience with an x27 meeting a boot and a foot...==c

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  12. JohnKoP

JohnKoP New Member

Great tool!
    image.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  13. Coal Reaper

Loc:
    NJ
    looks like you got lucky too. coulda been a lot worse!
  14. Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar

Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar Member

Loc:
    Rural St. Elmo, IL
    Yeah, if I had a full swing it would have been a whole lot worse. I was just knocked it on the ground to get a chunk of Elm off the end of it. I thought the chunk hit the side of my foot, I just kept on splitting. A couple splits later I noticed the hole in my boot and I could see my bloody sock. I really expected it to be worse. If you look at the boot you can see that the steel toe stops just in front of where the axe went in.
  15. CenterTree

CenterTree Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    Just bought mine tonight (x27) at Sears. They had it for $54.99. I knew Walmart's website had them at $49.97,,, so I asked the clerk at Sears to do a price match and I walked out with my new tool.

Gonna try it tomorrow.
    :)

Will be wearing steel toes for sure!!
  16. NRGarrott

NRGarrott New Member

Loc:
    Annapolis, MD
    I am 5'10 and have a x27, It feels just right for me, but I would like to try a x25 if anyone is local to Maryland and wants to swap for a weekend. I agree with basswidow, the sharpner is a joke. I use a flat file and it does a much better job.
    Hills Hoard likes this.
  17. CenterTree

CenterTree Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    Put my new one to the test a few hours yesterday and I love it. Glad I learned about the X27 here at Hearth.com:)
    Hills Hoard likes this.
  18. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia

aussie, i was in bunnings today looking at these...only had the 25....i want the 27...might have to do some shopping online!
  19. rowerwet

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I found the best price on amazon, still is last time I looked
  20. BOBWASTINGTIME

BOBWASTINGTIME New Member

Loc:
    Brick, NJ
    I bought the Fiskars X27 at Sears last year for $60. It works so good I made a video of it
  21. gerry100

gerry100 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY Capitol Region
    All short pieces, How does it work on 23" long pieces standing on the ground?
  22. rowerwet

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I split 16" oak with one or two swings usually
  23. BOBWASTINGTIME

BOBWASTINGTIME New Member

Loc:
    Brick, NJ
    23 inch fresh cut oak? like cutting thru butter. Old, dried out, semi rotted. Have to hit it on the edges. Still basically has no problem.
  24. Auzzie Gumtree

Auzzie Gumtree Feeling the Heat

I was greedy and bout both X25 and X27 from amazon. I always have one in the Ute 'just in case' and one in my splitting area.
    Hills Hoard likes this.
  25. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    how does the 25 go splitting wood....it looked more like an axe than a splitter?....or is ti in between?