This guy is nuts!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the late response, I have been fighting like mad with the water in my basement for the last two weeks. I just don't understand how this guy thinks even $1000 is acceptable for skinny yard trees. Maybe I'm just spoiled with scores like I got today. 2 HUGE dump truck loads of elm and a small boxelder dropped off for FREE from the tree service I have been getting it from for a while. Or maybe im just looking at it from a burning point of view.

Hmmm.... I get various local hardwoods from my own work & a small tree service occasionally delivers a load in my backyard for free.I then mill them in to random sized blocks,slabs & squares for woodturning,sculpture & other uses.Keep some for myself,sell the rest when the time is right.

It may just look like 'firewood' to most people,but I get much more than the going rate for pickup loads or cords from the stuff...More than a standard board foot price for 1" & 2" lumber even.

It may just look like 'firewood' to most people,but I get much more than the going rate for pickup loads or cords from the stuff...More than a standard board foot price for 1" & 2" lumber even.

Sure, but that's what you get for the best parts of it after you've done all the processing and picked through to find the best of it, and stored it until you've found the right buyer. What you're selling is specialty lumber, not trees.

There are exceptions of course, but in my area most hardwoods are so ubiquitous that trees themselves are basically worthless. It's the work of harvesting, processing and moving them around that you have to pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.